Topics

LRRSA Promotion!

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

Hi there,
Before setting up this group there was quite
a bit of discussion amongst a few of us regarding how
to promote the LRRSA, especially to younger folk.
While at work yesterday I was thinking about such
(Yeah I was bored) and wondered why there seems to be
no presence at model railway exhibitions.
I can't seem to recall the LRRSA having a stand at
any exhibition, at least not those big ones that I go
to.
Perhaps I may be wrong or perhaps this may well be
limited to Victorian exhibitions.

Just thinking out aloud. :-)

Brad

#### LocoShed Australasia Website ####
http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html
** Australian Industrial & Preserved Railways.
** Railways of the Philippines and South East Asia
** LocoShed Express in 'Railway Digest'
** Asst editor: Asia-Rail magazine.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Ron & Hilary Martin <ronhil@...>

Brad

I think one of the problems may be that for many youngsters (and even some
wrinklies) the level of knowledge and experience shown in the pages of the
Journal and at Meetings is rather daunting. You know, almost at the level of
"I found a 14.5 cm dog spike. Allowing for the expected age and
deterioration this was one of the original ones in the track and shows that
an early attempt was made to lay this railway at 2' gauge rather than the
later 2'6" ". Probably a rather ludicrous level, but I reckon that you will
know what I mean.

I believe that the approach to attracting younger people may be a case of
demonstrating a presence at a not too erudite level, and possibly even
having some kind of mentor arrangement , or, in the larger areas, a Junior
Affiliation.

Just my old sixpence worth.

Ron M.

Before setting up this group there was quite
a bit of discussion amongst a few of us regarding how
to promote the LRRSA, especially to younger folk.
While at work yesterday I was thinking about such
(Yeah I was bored) and wondered why there seems to be
no presence at model railway exhibitions.
I can't seem to recall the LRRSA having a stand at
any exhibition, at least not those big ones that I go
to.
Perhaps I may be wrong or perhaps this may well be
limited to Victorian exhibitions.

Just thinking out aloud. :-)

Brad

bll_hnks

G'day Brad,

It's not that the will is not there to put displays at various model
railway exhibitions. I've said on a number of occasions that we should
set up displays and sales tables at a lot more exhibitions.

If there was someone in each state that was willing to manage displays
and sales at exhibitions, we would be happy to supply them will display
material and stock. Some of the younger folk you mention may be the
right people to do this and get them actively involved in an LRRSA
activity.

Regards,

Bill Hanks

________________________________

[...]

OK lets add to this.

Is there any Sydney based members of the group that
would be willing to assist should a stand be set up at
Sydney exhibitions?
Ideally at least three people would be ideal to
allow for people to have regular breaks from it.

Brad

#### LocoShed Australasia Website ####
http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html
** Australian Industrial & Preserved Railways.
** Railways of the Philippines and South East Asia
** LocoShed Express in 'Railway Digest'
** Asst editor: Asia-Rail magazine.

http://mail.yahoo.com

neville conder

Hi Brad
At the Narrow Gauge Convention at Parramatta a couple of years back I think Mike Bickford was helping man a stand for the LRRSA.
Neville Conder

[...]

John Dennis <jdennis@...>

There was a stand at the Blackheath Narrow Gauge Convention back in
1998 - that was when I joined the society - and at last year's at
Albury.

In my opinion the NG Conventions are a good fit for the LRRSA, as you
automatically have a group of people who's interests generally match
the society pretty well, unlike a public model railway exhibition,
where many of the attendees are mums and dads with their kids, or
modellers who go no further than opening their Trainorama box and
putting their new loco on the rails.

However, with the convention being scheduled over Easter, it's a
difficult time to get people to help man a stand.

John

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:53:56 +1000, "neville conder"
<nconder@...> wrote:

Hi Brad
At the Narrow Gauge Convention at Parramatta a couple of years back I think Mike Bickford was helping man a stand for the LRRSA.
Neville Conder
John Dennis jdennis@...
Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

Hi Ron/everyone,

<<<<> I think one of the problems may be that for many
youngsters (and even some wrinklies) the level of
knowledge and experience shown in the pages of the
Journal and at Meetings is rather daunting. You
know, almost at the level of "I found a 14.5 cm dog
spike. Allowing for the expected age and
deterioration this was one of the original ones in
the track and shows that an early attempt was made
to lay this railway at 2' gauge rather than the
later 2'6" ". Probably a rather ludicrous level, but
I reckon that you will know what I mean.>>>>>>
:-) Got a welcome laugh from this.

Seriously though you are exactly right.
My personal interest is in the areas of cane
operations (especially during the diesel era) and
steelworks rail operations.
I haven't spent much time researching all the long
gone little operations around Australia but being
exposed to the wonderful efforts of so many the
interest in these is fast growing.
The amount of knowledge held by many LRRSA
constantly leaves me astounded, I have long looked up
to John B as a industrial loco guru (I don't think
there has been a question he couldn't answer).
However like you say there is times that this
knowledge amazes me so much that you feel like
anything you may wish to contribute would be of little
interest as it is likely already known.

The model railway fraternity also seem to discuss
this topic a lot, mostly in magazines. They also seem
to want to target more beginners and thus grow the
hobby.

I believe that the approach to attracting younger
people may be a case of demonstrating a presence at
a not too erudite level, and possibly even
having some kind of mentor arrangement , or, in the
larger areas, a Junior Affiliation.>>>>>
Some very interesting concepts here. In the past I
have seen efforts from overseas groups that have lead
to the junior affiliation idea that you mention.
I suppose the closest thing here would be Peter
Neve's 'Schools Railway Club' but this mostly caters
for more mainstream topics.

I will mention this group and topic to a few younger
mates in Queensland who are interested in cane
railways. I would love to get their views.

Just my old sixpence worth.>>>>>
Worth every bit :-)

Brad

#### LocoShed Australasia Website ####
http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html
** Australian Industrial & Preserved Railways.
** Railways of the Philippines and South East Asia
** LocoShed Express in 'Railway Digest'
** Asst editor: Asia-Rail magazine.

http://mail.yahoo.com

The Bickfords <womloc4@...>

Hi All,

Good memory there Neville.
Jeff Moonie was the main 'mover and shaker' for the display at the Parramatta NG Modelling convention.
Jeff and I were the main ones on the stand for the whole weekend, plus a couple of others part time to share the load.
Nearly all were committe members from the NSW Division.
We sold quite a few copies of various books, not sure about membership applications.
At the convention we did not have to be 'open' all the time - when various workshops and presentations were on we could attend those because the commercial area was closed.

Model Railway exhibitions would be more full on with time and therefore more tiring.
I have done an all weekend stint at the Castle Hill Model railway exhibition for Rails in the Garden with posters, videos and a small shunting layout.
Even with the benefit of other members to help run some live steam loco models on the layout I was really tired at the end of Sunday.

Mike Bickford
Berowra & Nalya Tramway
Sydney, Australia
www.ritginc.org

At the Narrow Gauge Convention at Parramatta a couple of years back I think Mike Bickford was helping man a stand for the LRRSA.
Neville Conder

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

In my opinion the NG Conventions are a good fit for
the LRRSA, as you
automatically have a group of people who's interests
generally match
the society pretty well, unlike a public model
railway exhibition,
where many of the attendees are mums and dads with
their kids, or
modellers who go no further than opening their
Trainorama box and
putting their new loco on the rails. >>>>>
Hiya John,
I suppose the arguement then is that you are
preaching to the converted. That being those who
already love narrow gauge and industrial railways.
I can only use Brisbane as an example, however
plenty of young people with an interest in cane
railways go to their main exhibition but have never
been to a narrow gauge convention, most probably don't
realise they even exist.
Like I have mentioned in the past, I was interested
in cane railways some time before I knew of the
existence of the LRRSA, a looooong time before I knew
about narrow gauge conventions.

Anyway I have asked a few younger friends to join us
and give their views. One of these, Paul Henderson,
has already accepted.

Regards
Brad

#### LocoShed Australasia Website ####
http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html
** Australian Industrial & Preserved Railways.
** Railways of the Philippines and South East Asia
** LocoShed Express in 'Railway Digest'
** Asst editor: Asia-Rail magazine.

http://mail.yahoo.com

John Dennis <jdennis@...>

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 04:34:58 -0700 (PDT), BLI BLI
<alcogoodwin@...> wrote:

In my opinion the NG Conventions are a good fit for
the LRRSA,
Hiya John,
I suppose the arguement then is that you are
preaching to the converted. That being those who
already love narrow gauge and industrial railways.
If you're looking for new members, then you might be right. If you're
looking to sell off some of the stocks of books or back issues of LR,
then I suspect the convention would be a better vehicle.

Although it might be interesting to find out just how many attendees
at a NG Convention are actually members of the LRRSA. Perhaps that's
a question which could be added to the post-convention questionnaire
in Melbourne, next year.

John Dennis jdennis@...
Melbourne,Australia Home of the HOn30 Dutton Bay Tramway
and the Australian Narrow Gauge Web-Exhibition Gallery
Dutton Bay URL: http://members.optusnet.com.au/duttonbay
WebX http://members.optusnet.com.au/jdennis/ng_webex.html

Mark Trainbrain

As a young bloke...
A junior affiliation would be a great idea! I remember when I joined the
ILRMS it cost me $15 or something easily within my year 11 at school budget.

Better yet than having young or old members manning a stall, get your
teenage and early 20's daughters to promote the group!

Sex sells and narrow gauge is sexy. Not so much the pig farm NG railways
though. Well, none of them really. But sex still sells!

Regards,
Mark K
Sydney

Frank Stamford

The LRRSA is attending the Croydon (Melbourne) Model Railway exhibition next weekend (2nd and 3rd of Sept) and we need people to help man that.

We have also been invited to attend the Narrow Gauge Convention in Melbourne next Easter and have not yet made a decision on attending - that would depend on our ability to man it.

In the past we have worked with Australian Narrow Gauge Railway Museum Society in Brisbane and Illawarra Light Railway Museum Society whereby they sold LRRSA publications at exhibitions in Brisbane and Sydney for a commission. From the LRRSA's viewpoint this was a good outcome since the LRRSA had a presence at the exhibitions without having to find manpower, and organisations whose aims we supported were able to earn some money selling our books.

Frank

At 05:20 PM 28/08/2006, you wrote:

<<<<<<< It's not that the will is not there to put
displays at various model
railway exhibitions. I've said on a number of
occasions that we should
set up displays and sales tables at a lot more
exhibitions.
If there was someone in each state that was willing
to manage displays
and sales at exhibitions, we would be happy to
supply them will display
material and stock.>>>>>>
OK lets add to this.

Is there any Sydney based members of the group that
would be willing to assist should a stand be set up at
Sydney exhibitions?
Ideally at least three people would be ideal to
allow for people to have regular breaks from it.

Brad

bll_hnks

Membership rates of the LRRSA are set at a level that will recover the
cost of producing our magazine 'LIGHT RAILWAYS', mailing it out and
general running costs.

Unfortunately providing an affiliate membership at a reduced
subscription rate to attract younger people, would be at a financial
loss to the society.

Regards,

Bill Hanks