LRRSA Maribyrnong munitions visit

Roderick Smith

Help please, I'm trying to find my photos of this day, but can't find a date as an entry point.
I have gone brute force from 1988 to 1993 for a different project.
My memory is that our inspection was after the 1994 closure, but before we had negotiated the sale of trolleys.
I'll get there eventually by brute force, but someone here may have an instant top-of-head date.
The index works on searching the issues which are pdf: my collection is paper, not pdf.

TIA
Roderick

John Dennis

Light Railways News has a tour report for the Maribyrnong Explosives Factory which was run in 1992 over two Saturdays (29/2 and 14/3).

John

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 at 17:23, Roderick Smith via groups.io <rnveditor=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
Help please, I'm trying to find my photos of this day, but can't find a date as an entry point.
I have gone brute force from 1988 to 1993 for a different project.
My memory is that our inspection was after the 1994 closure, but before we had negotiated the sale of trolleys.
I'll get there eventually by brute force, but someone here may have an instant top-of-head date.
The index works on searching the issues which are pdf: my collection is paper, not pdf.

TIA
Roderick

Iain

I think I might have copies of the report in my files somewhere.

I also have plans and production manuals which I got when I was working on the heritage assessment of the site.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North, 2134

NSW, Australia

Ph (02) 97010191

Mb 0413 380116

Iain_Stuart@...

Light Railways News has a tour report for the Maribyrnong Explosives Factory which was run in 1992 over two Saturdays (29/2 and 14/3).

John

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 at 17:23, Roderick Smith via groups.io <rnveditor=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:

Help please, I'm trying to find my photos of this day, but can't find a date as an entry point.
I have gone brute force from 1988 to 1993 for a different project.
My memory is that our inspection was after the 1994 closure, but before we had negotiated the sale of trolleys.
I'll get there eventually by brute force, but someone here may have an instant top-of-head date.
The index works on searching the issues which are pdf: my collection is paper, not pdf.

TIA
Roderick

John Dennis

The full set of LRN is a free download, so the tour report is available for all.

John

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021, 10:30 pm Iain, <iain_stuart@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks all.  I was on the 29.2.92 visit.  Brute force was in trouble because I took only b&w that day, not slides.
I now have the photos at hand.
Close to 30 years ago: where did the years vanish?

Roderick

Roderick Smith

With the prompt answers, I found the photos and scanned the immediate need: filling a gap in a folio of upper Maribyrnong River photos.
The rest must wait.
I had seen the yellow trolleys while on a river cruise in 1991.  Inexplicably, I didn't take a photo.  Even before I had written a note to LR, it was 'discovered', and became mainstream LRRSA material, with the 1992 tour (in two divisions), and the subsequent sale of trolleys.

My upper Maribyrnong set: https://www.flickr.com/photos/13175590@N00/51396957530/in/album-72157717651336033
My photostream: https://www.flickr.com/photos/13175590@N00, mixed hobbies.  Some of the Tasmanian photos show Mark Plummer.  I have some China ng too.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_Explosive_Factory_Maribyrnong

Enclosed: the full-size scan.  920229Sa-ExplosivesFactoryMaribyrnong-RSmith.jpg

Roderick

Phil Rickard

And, now, after all those years EFM is just acres of weeds and half-demolished buildings.

Iain

Phil,

It is a sad outcome for an important site. As you might remember I spent time there mapping the physical evidence and well as collecting archive material which the NAA seemed at a loss about what to do with. Few people seemed to appreciate the technical achievements made at the place which gave Australia a seat at the table when the UK developed guided missiles as we could supply extruded propellent to their specs.

There were some cordite trucks stored in a shed on site when I was surveying the area 10 years ago.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North, 2134

NSW, Australia

Ph (02) 97010191

Mb 0413 380116

Iain_Stuart@...

And, now, after all those years EFM is just acres of weeds and half-demolished buildings.