Topics

Light Railways 257

John Dennis

The mail-out team did a sterling job last night, packing the magazine and no less than five inserts. The mag is now in the hands of Australia Post and (with luck) in members' letter boxes from early next week. I'm not certain when Gordon and Gotch will deliver the magazine to newsagents - that may not happen until closer to the end of the month.

The contents of this issue:

The later years of the Marrawah Tramway (Tas)

The East Greta Coal Mining Company and the European War (NSW)

Singleton Target Range light railways (NSW)

Looking back - Garratt action in the Otways (Vic)

Industrial Railway News - 23 items from around Australia and Fiji

Treasures from Trove: A Dreadful Alternative and a hairbreadth escape (Vic)

Treasures from Trove: The Timber Getters (Vic)

Letters - An interesting rail wagon

Life Memberships: Phil Rickard; Bill Hanks

JLN Southern Award report

Field Reports - Harper’s Mill, Mount Disappointment (Vic) Gauge 1067mm

Heritage & Tourist News - 12 items from Australia and United Kingdom

If you are not a member and can't wait for G&G you can always buy from our online shop:

http://lightrailwayresearchsocietyofaustralia.cart.net.au/Light-Railways-No257-October-2017

or for the PDF version:

http://lightrailwayresearchsocietyofaustralia.cart.net.au/Light-Railways-No257-October-2017-pdf-download

Or better still, subscribe online at:

http://lrrsa.org.au/LRRSA_Join_Renew.html

and the current issue (and those remaining in the year) will be mailed directly to your letter box.

John Dennis
LRRSA

Hunslet

Nobody seems to have posted a report as yet … however my members’ copy of the latest issue was in my post office Box today, Wednesday.   Thanks guys – another most interesting issue, well produced.

Hunslet.

[...]

Chris Stratton

Mine arrived today and I was very disappointed to find my hometown of Wollongong spelt incorrectly three times in the Industrial Railway News section.

Regards,

Chris

[...]

Heritage &amp; Tourist News - 12 items from Australia and United Kingdom

If you are not a member and can't wait for G&G you can always buy from our online shop:

http://lightrailwayresearchsocietyofaustralia.cart.net.au/Light-Railways-No257-October-2017

or for the PDF version:

http://lightrailwayresearchsocietyofaustralia.cart.net.au/Light-Railways-No257-October-2017-pdf-download

Or better still, subscribe online at:

http://lrrsa.org.au/LRRSA_Join_Renew.html

and the current issue (and those remaining in the year) will be mailed directly to your letter box.

John Dennis
LRRSA

Mike Bickford

Mine arrived in Tuesdays mail in Harden-Murrumburrah.
Interesting read as always.

Mike Bickford

[...]

dickwho1

Mine arrived in Broken Hill on Tuesday.
Dick

[...]

Frank Stamford

Hello Chris,

On 27/09/2017 5:52 PM, 'Chris Stratton' gm4201@... [LRRSA] wrote:

Mine arrived today and I was very disappointed to find my hometown of Wollongong spelt incorrectly three times in the Industrial Railway News section.

Our apologies for causing you this diappointment. It was an unfortunate error, and since everything that appears in Light Railways is read by at least two people we would have hoped that errors like this did not slip through. May be we need more proof readers.

The error arose because the person who prepared the item was more familiar with hearing "Wollongong" spoken, rather than seeing it in writing.

As regards the progress of this issue through the mail system, Australia Post seems to have processed this issue extremely quickly.

Chris

Nobody seems to have posted a report as yet … however my members’ copy of the latest issue was in my post office Box today, Wednesday.   Thanks guys – another most interesting issue, well produced.

Hunslet.

Kevin Sewell

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Frank Stamford wrote:

As regards the progress of this issue through the mail system, Australia Post seems to have processed this issue extremely quickly.

Google mail was its usual slow instantaneous delivery again. I had read it cover to cover and was ready for the next issue before you guys even got the printed version to the post box.

Cheers,
Kevin

Blowing out someone else's candle does not make your's burn any brighter.

Chris Stratton

Frank,

I’m happy to do proofreading, I did a few books for ARHS when Chris Walters was RD editor.

Regards,

Chris

Nobody seems to have posted a report as yet … however my members’ copy of the latest issue was in my post office Box today, Wednesday.   Thanks guys – another most interesting issue, well produced.

Hunslet.

Frank Stamford

Hello Chris,

Thank you for that offer. I will pass it on to the LR Editor.

On 30/09/2017 7:43 AM, 'Chris Stratton' gm4201@... [LRRSA] wrote:

Frank,

I’m happy to do proofreading, I did a few books for ARHS when Chris Walters was RD editor.

Regards,

Chris

Nobody seems to have posted a report as yet … however my members’ copy of the latest issue was in my post office Box today, Wednesday.   Thanks guys – another most interesting issue, well produced.

Hunslet.

B.Rumary

My copy of 257 arrived in the UK this morning.

--
Brian Rumary
England