KATE

Christopher Hart

Recently, this Fowler loco has been mentioned in conjunction with
correspondence on the Burrinjuck Dam. I believe it still exists and is in
New Zealand. Some years ago, I bought a copy of "New Zealand Steam
Locomotives by Official Number" which is a list of privately owned N.Z.
steam locos listed by their boiler numbers. Included is an unidentified 6
coupled Fowler which was imported from Australia for the construction of the
Nihotupu Dam. It was inspected at Auckland in May 1920 and this date fits in
nicely with the ad mentioned on page 71 of "The Goondah-Burrinjuck Railway"
by John Newland. Its remains are now in private ownership and a photo shows
a bracket on the side of the smokebox where the KATE had its compressor. The
only detracting fact from this senerio is that the construction line in New
Zealand was of 2' 6" gauge. I have to assume that the KATE was capable of
being converted to this gauge. If anyone can rebut the foregoing with hard
facts, please do so,
Christopher Hart

The Bickfords <womloc4@...>

Chris,

I was the one that 'dangled the carrot' about Kate.
A friend of mine had mentioned the same information about it being in NZ, hearing this from Bruce McDonald I believe.

I have obtained a copy of the GA drawing for the 'standard' Fowler 2'0" gauge 0-6-0T from the Museum of English & Rural Life in Reading, UK.
Kate was one of these locos. The between the frames dimension is 37.5", however there are axleboxes plus springs and compensating levers between the wheels and the frames.
It looks possible to move the wheels outwards and adjust the brake gear (or they may have fitted wider frame spacers).

cheers,
Mike Bickford
Berowra, Sydney, Australia

[...]

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"

Yahoo! Groups Links