Topics

John Kerr's QLD notes

Petan

Warning; following is around 254MB file size so huge, so download when you have cheaper internet rates. John Kerr’s database of QLD rail transport, including industrial tramways, up to his 2003 death, is on the public internet through Fryer Library at The University of Queensland. The other online version at the State Library QLD is only up to about the 1970s. This has been on that public site for a few months now.

https://researchdata.ands.org.au/john-douglas-kerr-history-database/1326079?source=suggested_datasets

Cheers

Peter Cokley

A C Lynn Zelmer

Unfortunately the data is only accessible using a Windows-based computer.
   :-(
Ciao, Lynn

--
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414 Main Post Office

David Halfpenny

Bum!

I’ve downloaded it anyway, and will see if I can find a discarded laptop in my kids’ sty.

Another Warning: While the compressed file is only 254Mb, it unzips to a total of 1.21Gb.

David 1/2d

On 9/10/19 9:38 am, Petan wrote:

Warning; following is around 254MB file size so huge, so download when you have cheaper internet rates. John Kerr’s database of QLD rail transport, including industrial tramways, up to his 2003 death, is on the public internet through Fryer Library at The University of Queensland. The other online version at the State Library QLD is only up to about the 1970s. This has been on that public site for a few months now.

https://researchdata.ands.org.au/john-douglas-kerr-history-database/1326079?source=suggested_datasets

Cheers

Peter Cokley

--
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414 Main Post Office
Rockhampton, QLD 4700 AUSTRALIA

Bob Thornton

G'day Lynn,

 I run a virtual machine using VirtualBox for these situations, to run any flavour of windoze necessary for the job.

If you are running an esoteric system, install Linux Mint in an old box or laptop to achieve the same ends.  All at zero cost... :)

Bob Thornton
Skipton AU

Chris Stratton

You still need a valid copy of Windows to install with VirtualBox

Regards,
CS

 I run a virtual machine using VirtualBox for these situations, to run any flavour of windoze necessary for the job.

If you are running an esoteric system, install Linux Mint in an old box or laptop to achieve the same ends.  All at zero cost... :)

Bob Thornton
Skipton AU

Email sent using Optus Webmail

Greg Stephenson

G’day all

These comments do raise the question to me of how will researchers of the future deal with records from the current era where many records are kept electronically.

I know I’ve never been that rigorous in how I store my digital images compared to my slides. It strikes me that every time a program is upgraded or current technology changes things get lost. Who can read a floppy disc now and I had to get an external DVD reader for my work computer.

I remember a comment about oral histories of engineers being recorded and someone asked are we archiving a machine to be able access the recording when technology changes.

At least I can read 100 year old printed books - only problem is when they are in a language I don’t understand! Maybe the modern equivalent is incompatible software languages! 🙄

One at least hopes that Government Archives at least have some rigour in record keeping and commit to keeping the data available and compatible with the future technology.

Regards

Greg Stephenson
Brisbane, Australia

Get Outlook for iOS