Topics

John Kerr's QLD notes

Petan

Warning; following is around 254MB file size so huge, so download when you have cheaper internet rates. John Kerr’s database of QLD rail transport, including industrial tramways, up to his 2003 death, is on the public internet through Fryer Library at The University of Queensland. The other online version at the State Library QLD is only up to about the 1970s. This has been on that public site for a few months now.

https://researchdata.ands.org.au/john-douglas-kerr-history-database/1326079?source=suggested_datasets

Cheers

Peter Cokley

A C Lynn Zelmer

Unfortunately the data is only accessible using a Windows-based computer.
   :-(
Ciao, Lynn

On 9/10/19 9:38 am, Petan wrote:

Warning; following is around 254MB file size so huge, so download when you have cheaper internet rates. John Kerr’s database of QLD rail transport, including industrial tramways, up to his 2003 death, is on the public internet through Fryer Library at The University of Queensland. The other online version at the State Library QLD is only up to about the 1970s. This has been on that public site for a few months now.

https://researchdata.ands.org.au/john-douglas-kerr-history-database/1326079?source=suggested_datasets

Cheers

Peter Cokley

-- 
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414 Main Post Office
Rockhampton, QLD 4700 AUSTRALIA

David Halfpenny

Bum!

I’ve downloaded it anyway, and will see if I can find a discarded laptop in my kids’ sty.

Another Warning: While the compressed file is only 254Mb, it unzips to a total of 1.21Gb.

David 1/2d

On 10 Oct 2019, at 02:07, A C Lynn Zelmer <lynn@...> wrote:

Unfortunately the data is only accessible using a Windows-based computer.
   :-(
Ciao, Lynn

On 9/10/19 9:38 am, Petan wrote:

Cheers

Peter Cokley

-- 
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414 Main Post Office
Rockhampton, QLD 4700 AUSTRALIA

Bob Thornton

G'day Lynn,

I run a virtual machine using VirtualBox for these situations, to run any flavour of windoze necessary for the job.

If you are running an esoteric system, install Linux Mint in an old box or laptop to achieve the same ends.  All at zero cost... :)

Bob Thornton
Skipton AU

Chris Stratton

You still need a valid copy of Windows to install with VirtualBox

Regards,
CS

----- Original Message -----
LRRSA@groups.io

To:
<LRRSA@groups.io>
Cc:

Sent:
Thu, 10 Oct 2019 14:20:02 -0700
Subject:
Re: [LRRSA] John Kerr's QLD notes

G'day Lynn,

I run a virtual machine using VirtualBox for these situations, to run any flavour of windoze necessary for the job.

If you are running an esoteric system, install Linux Mint in an old box or laptop to achieve the same ends.  All at zero cost... :)

Bob Thornton
Skipton AU

Email sent using Optus Webmail

Greg Stephenson

G’day all

These comments do raise the question to me of how will researchers of the future deal with records from the current era where many records are kept electronically.

I know I’ve never been that rigorous in how I store my digital images compared to my slides. It strikes me that every time a program is upgraded or current technology changes things get lost. Who can read a floppy disc now and I had to get an external DVD reader for my work computer.

I remember a comment about oral histories of engineers being recorded and someone asked are we archiving a machine to be able access the recording when technology changes.  

At least I can read 100 year old printed books - only problem is when they are in a language I don’t understand! Maybe the modern equivalent is incompatible software languages! 🙄

One at least hopes that Government Archives at least have some rigour in record keeping and commit to keeping the data available and compatible with the future technology.

Regards

Greg Stephenson
Brisbane, Australia

Get Outlook for iOS

From: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io> on behalf of Bob Thornton via Groups.Io <rjt_46@...>
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2019 7:20:02 AM
To: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] John Kerr's QLD notes

G'day Lynn,

Bob Thornton
Skipton AU

David Halfpenny

Greg,

40 years ago I put a million pounds worth of Computer Aided Design into the Traction & Rolling Stock Division of the British Railways Board.
I scarcely need say that I’d now struggle to find similar kit dead in a museum, let alone up and running to read those old drawings.

Anticipating your email even back then, I insisted that the CAD drawings were Microfilmed and Archived on 35mm IBM silver-based ‘aperture cards’, in exactly the same way as Inked drawings were.
I then set about cataloguing them all on a massive database.

These days, when I pop into my old office to buy prints of Works Drawings, the CAD computer room has long been stripped-out. But the lads at screens still have the Aperture Cards and, as they still have the Database, they can find and scan those drawings onto PDFs and paper plots.
The digital nature of the ‘model’ has been lost, but at least Something has Survived, and luckily no worse than that from the previous reign of Tracing Linen and India Ink.

That isn’t a complete answer - it only works for computer-created Drawings, but not for the kind of digital data that goes direct to Manufacturing without a Paper Print.
Frankly, many aspects of the second half of the 20thC have been archived in far less detail than the second half of the 19thC. Once the colour snaps have faded, even family holidays will be less documented.

David 1/2d

On 12 Oct 2019, at 00:28, Greg Stephenson <greg.stephenson@...> wrote:

G’day all

These comments do raise the question to me of how will researchers of the future deal with records from the current era where many records are kept electronically.

I know I’ve never been that rigorous in how I store my digital images compared to my slides. It strikes me that every time a program is upgraded or current technology changes things get lost. Who can read a floppy disc now and I had to get an external DVD reader for my work computer.

I remember a comment about oral histories of engineers being recorded and someone asked are we archiving a machine to be able access the recording when technology changes.  

At least I can read 100 year old printed books - only problem is when they are in a language I don’t understand! Maybe the modern equivalent is incompatible software languages! 🙄

One at least hopes that Government Archives at least have some rigour in record keeping and commit to keeping the data available and compatible with the future technology.

Regards

Greg Stephenson
Brisbane, Australia

Get Outlook for iOS

From: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io> on behalf of Bob Thornton via Groups.Io <rjt_46@...>
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2019 7:20:02 AM
To: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] John Kerr's QLD notes

G'day Lynn,

Bob Thornton
Skipton AU

David in Avenel

Well it downloaded fine for me and I extracted it to .... somewhere but not obvious.   Now according to the instructions I need to install DBSearch (supplied) which I did and then the insts to explore the data base are given but try as I might I could not find anything.  In the past I re call that the NSW Track & Signal Diagrams used this search engine and at that time I found it to be treble dutch and confusing, consequently DVD of diagrams chucked in drawer and forgotten.

What a thoroughly confusing situation.

--

cheers and best wishes,
David in Avenel.au
[Before you change anything, learn why it is the way it is.]

John Browning

Search your computer and see if you can find a folder named kerrs_qld_history_database
If you can find it, then that is where you should find the extracted files.
John