Topics

Introduction

David Axup

G'day All,

As a new member to the group I had better introduced myself. I live
in Melbourne and have had an interest in narrow gauge railways -
life size since I was a little tacker back in the distant past - and
more recently at 1:48 since I started modelling them.

I grew up on the lower end of the Mornington Peninsula in the '40s
and '50s far removed from the railway system but managed to get on
several ARHS trips anyway. A matter of abiding curiosity is the
lime industry on the Peninsula. There were several lime kilns at
the back of Rye one of which still had the remains of a narrow gauge
tramway at the kiln area. Rails and wheels and part of a right of
way which appeared to head towards Port Phillip was all that was
left in the early '50s. All trace of that kiln has now gone. As
the lime was transported to Melbourne and Geelong by small ship it
obviously had to get from the kiln to the sea. I have been
searching for years to see if there is any record of tramways in the
lower Peninsula area without any joy. If anyone has any information
as to their existence I would appreciate it. All I have found is
the record of the tramway that connected the pier at Sorrento to the
ocean beach and which was for passengers.

Cheers,

David Axup