Topics

Horse line

Petan

Folks, horse lines seem to get an occasional mention over the years in various publications, including marked as such on parish maps and similar, as well in railway / tramway publications, suggesting it as either a national or international term, rather than just an individual state term.

Wonder if it means different things in different industries such as sugar compared to timber?

Wonder if it meant horse or tractor rather than light locomotive?

Wonder if its meaning has changed over the years, especially since light locomotives have been around?

Just one of those terms used in publications and the assumption is everyone understands the meaning in the same way?

Cheers

Peter Cokley

Luke Horniblow

Hey Peter,

Victoria Mill at Ingham has two Horse lines that still get used. When the Harvesting contractor comes to cut the sugar cane. The farmer uses a tractor to pull the empty bins down from the mill & take the fulls back to the mill for one horse line the other a loco drops the bins off at a certain point for the farmer to pick the empty bins up & drop the fulls back there. There was also one or two in the Mackay area & one in Mossman but not sure if they still get used.

Cheers Luke.

Folks, horse lines seem to get an occasional mention over the years in various publications, including marked as such on parish maps and similar, as well in railway / tramway publications, suggesting it as either a national or international term, rather than just an individual state term.

Wonder if it means different things in different industries such as sugar compared to timber?

Wonder if it meant horse or tractor rather than light locomotive?

Wonder if its meaning has changed over the years, especially since light locomotives have been around?

Just one of those terms used in publications and the assumption is everyone understands the meaning in the same way?

Cheers

Peter Cokley

Petan

Thanks Luke!

Your context suggests ‘Horse Line’ is just another term for minor branch line? Does the loco work on the ‘horse line’ in your second example? If so, then the term horse line is not determined by type of motive power, which matches another suspicion I have?

Cheers

Peter Cokley