Topics

Gairloch Sugar Mill

PH

Hello,

I am researching a gentleman by the name of Oscar Schulze, who supplied the Bleichert Aerial Ropeway which was erected across the Herbert River in 1883 to the Gairloch Sugar Mill.

My Trove article from the Sydney Daily Telegraph of 22nd Oct 1883 says it was 2500 feet long with a 500 ft span across the river.

The only information I have been able to find is a mention made in a speech made by the Governor of Queensland when opening a bridge across the river at Gairloch 18th Mach 2014.

Does the LRRSA have any information on the Gairloch Sugar Mill, now defunct I believe? The local Historical Society has drawn a blank also...

Regards
Philip Hammon