Topics

Gairloch aerial tramway

John Browning

I believe this was a “flying fox” type aerial tramway (not CSR Victoria Mill wire tramway 1890 but Fanning Nankivill and Co.)

“The tramlines consist of stout wires suspended from upright pillars on each side of the bank, these wires being continued at either end till level with the high land above the banks. . . It is possible to convoy as much as 50 tons of cane across the river by means of the suspended tramline within the hour.” http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13561405

John

Petan

Thanks John!

I find it interesting that Knox, sitting in his Sydney office, had this sort of detail in his head, certainly a General Manager who earned his pay!

Cheers

Peter Cokley