Topics

Federal mill

silvansau

Hi Frank.
               I have realized that I have a household of books now and hardly ever read any so I pulled out “Mountains of Ash” and devoured it again and also your co authored “Powelltown”. Having walked a lot of this area I am reasonably familiar with that area.
               The last time to the New Federal I had a friend with me who as a young boy was at the Ada No2 in 39 and his uncle dragged him into the dugout and they survived. The leaches are still there and he copped one in the eye that morning. Lunch at the New Federal we stood up as we could hear their teeth gnashing. I drove the wife up to the Ada Tree another day  and that day there were two car loads and I mentioned the man who brought the art of the high leads to the country and one of of the older ladies said “His name was Jack Corbet and he boarded at our place in Warburton.
               The main reason that I have contacted you is that the Federal used barrel saws and even with a couple of photos I still can`t understand how they work. So Frank can describe how they work for me and it will be in my head for future knowledge.
                Now to my last request and could you please give me the the email address of the latest Light Railway discussion group.
                I have been a member since around 1962 and I still devour all news.
                                                                     Kind regards.
                                                                                          Keith Holmes. 

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Frank Stamford

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your reminiscences of the New Federal and Ada River areas.

Unfortunately I also cannot understand how the saws for barrel staves work, hopefully someone else on this list may be able to explain that.

When you say "the latest Light Railway discussion group, i presume you are referring to the Light Railways of Australia Facebook Group which was mentioned in the latest Light Railways.

There is no email address for it, but there is a website address:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LightRailwaysAustralia/

If you are not already a Facebook user you will be asked to join Facebook.

We currently have 281 members on the Light Railways of Australia Facebook page, but that umber is constantly growing.

Regards,
Frank

On 18/12/2017 4:51 PM, 'Keith Holmes' sherlock@... [LRRSA] wrote:

Hi Frank.
               I have realized that I have a household of books now and hardly ever read any so I pulled out “Mountains of Ash” and devoured it again and also your co authored “Powelltown”. Having walked a lot of this area I am reasonably familiar with that area.
               The last time to the New Federal I had a friend with me who as a young boy was at the Ada No2 in 39 and his uncle dragged him into the dugout and they survived. The leaches are still there and he copped one in the eye that morning. Lunch at the New Federal we stood up as we could hear their teeth gnashing. I drove the wife up to the Ada Tree another day  and that day there were two car loads and I mentioned the man who brought the art of the high leads to the country and one of of the older ladies said “His name was Jack Corbet and he boarded at our place in Warburton.
               The main reason that I have contacted you is that the Federal used barrel saws and even with a couple of photos I still can`t understand how they work. So Frank can describe how they work for me and it will be in my head for future knowledge.
                Now to my last request and could you please give me the the email address of the latest Light Railway discussion group.
                                                                     Kind regards.
                                                                                          Keith Holmes. 

silvansau

Hi again Frank,
                        Thank you for your reply and I thought the barrel staves barrel saw was an easy one for you.
                         Have a Happy Xmas and I am looking forward to the next “Light Railways” issue.
                                                               Yours,
                                                                          Keith Holmes

Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Federal mill

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your reminiscences of the New Federal and Ada River areas.

Unfortunately I also cannot understand how the saws for barrel staves work, hopefully someone else on this list may be able to explain that.

When you say "the latest Light Railway discussion group, i presume you are referring to the Light Railways of Australia Facebook Group which was mentioned in the latest Light Railways.

There is no email address for it, but there is a website address:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LightRailwaysAustralia/

If you are not already a Facebook user you will be asked to join Facebook.

We currently have 281 members on the Light Railways of Australia Facebook page, but that umber is constantly growing.

Regards,
Frank

On 18/12/2017 4:51 PM, 'Keith Holmes' sherlock@... [LRRSA] wrote:

Hi Frank.
                                                                     Kind regards.
                                                                                          Keith Holmes. 

Virus-free. www.avg.com