Topics

Derricks 1920s

Petan

Location is Crabbes Ck transhipment yards between CSR tramway and NSWGR to Condong mill Tweed Rive for the 1920s. General question on the NSWGR on what was a horse derrick? Another type quoted when I troved was a hand derrick which I assume was a hand operated winch type? Another type identified was an oil engine powered derrick with a picture from 1933 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/94233836

Would a horse derrick be where a horse was attached to the winch cable and so hauled on the cable?

Trove for horse derrick at Crabbes Ck in 1922 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/190729138

Trove stating both motor and hand derrick at Crabbes Ck 1924 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/191748063

A powered gantry crane appeared at Crabbes Ck sugar transhipment yard some years later.

Thanks

Peter Cokley

John Browning

The photo here http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article163129940 shows that horse derricks were powered by a whim arrangement.

John

Petan

Thanks John!!

I have now googled horse whim so I have just learnt what that is. The horse one was 1922 yet the 1924 advertisement stated hand and motor derricks provided so maybe it could depend on who was writing the tender document.

Cheers

Peter Cokley