Denison Canal construction

Phil Rickard <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...>

I was reading some very early issues of the ARHS Vic Division's "Divisional Diary" (the forerunner of "Newsrail") and in August 1958 there is an item, numbered DD449, as follows:

"Walkabout" [magazine] for August 1958 has an illustrated article on the Tasmanian Denison Canal. Describing the construction it states " . . a steam navvy was mounted on a barge and set to work, with an engine and trucks on temporary rails taking out dry spoil and dumping in the the shores of each bay." The contrators were Messrs Knutson and Henrickson [stet].

The Denison Canal was constructed between 1902 and 1905 by Henrikson and Knutson, opening on the 13th October 1905. It shortened the journey from the east Coast to Hobart by 40 miles by cutting a 2km canal through East Bay Neck to avoid the often dangerous sea voyage around Tasman's Peninsula. The canal was re-dredged for its centenary last year.

Can anyone shed any light on the canal's construction or the locomotive used? The name Henrikson & Knutson rings a bell - I think they also constructed the Cooma to Nimmitabel line in NSW in 1910 and a breakwater in Northern Tassie?

cheers Phil

John Browning

"Walkabout" [magazine] for August 1958 has an illustrated article on
the Tasmanian Denison Canal. Can anyone shed any light on the canal's
construction or the locomotive used?

This would be it?

Krauss 4526 1901 610mm gauge 0-4-0WT Class IVzq OC
ordered by Diercks & Co., Melbourne
Hendrickson & Knutson (contractors), East Neck Canal construction,
Dunalley, Tas., 1902; out of use 1904
Sandfly Colliery Co. Ltd., Tas., 1906

John

John Browning

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "John Browning" <ceo8@i...> wrote:

"Walkabout" [magazine] for August 1958 has an illustrated article on
the Tasmanian Denison Canal. Can anyone shed any light on the canal's
construction or the locomotive used?

This would be it?

Krauss 4526 1901 610mm gauge 0-4-0WT Class IVzq OC
ordered by Diercks & Co., Melbourne
Hendrickson & Knutson (contractors), East Neck Canal construction,
Dunalley, Tas., 1902; out of use 1904
Sandfly Colliery Co. Ltd., Tas., 1906

John Browning
Thanks John, Yes, I knew someone with a better filing system than
mine would know the answer. Unfortunately the Tasmanian Marine Dept
didn't use any tramways when they re-dredged the canal last year.

I see the Archives Office of Tasmania has a number of documents
relating to the Denison canal.

cheers Phil