Topics

'Deanville Tramway' at East Point, Darwin

Sam Laybutt

There is an interpretive sign at East Point in Darwin which references a 'Deanville' tramway used to transport ammunition between the magazine and the WW2 gun emplacements. I have attached a photo of this sign.

What is a 'Deanville' tramway? Google didn't really help me in this regard.

Also, despite what the sign says, i didn't see any tramway remnants. Will have to have a closer look next time I'm there.

Mike Bickford

Sam,

Could ‘Deanville’ be a miss-spelling of ‘Decauville’?
Decauville was a French company that developed a lightweight portable rail system and the name became a generic name for such systems.

Regards

Mike Bickford
Murrumburrah NSW

There is an interpretive sign at East Point in Darwin which references a 'Deanville' tramway used to transport ammunition between the magazine and the WW2 gun emplacements. I have attached a photo of this sign.

What is a 'Deanville' tramway? Google didn't really help me in this regard.

Also, despite what the sign says, i didn't see any tramway remnants. Will have to have a closer look next time I'm there.

Stuart Livesey

If this horrible link works

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Light%20railway%20locations%20in%20South%20Australia%20NT%20and%20Broken%20Hill%2031Dec2015.pdf

you will find some reference to the tramway on page 17 and 18 and there is also a reference to a photo held by the Northern Territory Library.

When I was talking to them this time last year they were in the process of putting their image collection online so you may be able to use that reference to find the the photo.

Stuart

John Dennis

Putting the photos online remains in the LRRSA "to do" list.

John

sent from my Sony Xperia

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018, 4:13 PM Stuart Livesey <copytext@...> wrote:
If this horrible link works

http://www.lrrsa.org.au/Light%20railway%20locations%20in%20South%20Australia%20NT%20and%20Broken%20Hill%2031Dec2015.pdf

you will find some reference to the tramway on page 17 and 18 and there is also a reference to a photo held by the Northern Territory Library.

When I was talking to them this time last year they were in the process of putting their image collection online so you may be able to use that reference to find the the photo.

Stuart

John Browning

“Decauville” was a term used by the British military to describe light 2ft gauge railways, often using prefabricated track sections. This is surely what is intended here.

It might be worth checking out photos at the NT Library to see if there are others that provide more information on the site. Otherwise the Australian Archives may contain some details.

John

Stuart Livesey

Sorry John - by "they" I meant the NT Library.

Stuart

Bob Thornton

G'day,

google is pretty handy, try...