Topics

Database(s)

Bob Backway

RE: Research Register - Editorial (LR269) and Letters (LR271)

Databases are very powerful tools used in management and research, look at what Genealogists have done with them! I'm surprised that the LRRSA has not utilised them already. I would like to make the following comments:

1.The database(s) should be owned by the Society thus they can only be on the Society's web site. Facebook and Groups.io use of any data is beyond the control of the Society.

2. Furthermore it should be located in a "members only" section of the web site to be entered via member number and password only.This adds a group privacy element and also gives members privileges that may encourage new members.

3. I would prefer the register to be a "Register of Interest" rather than a "Register of Research" then internally in the database the "degree of interest" can be listed. For example I have interests in many diverse areas of our "hobby" and may not have the time to conduct formal research. However if I see that a member is heavily involved with a topic that I may have a snippet of information or perhaps an old/recent image I can contact that member. Similarly that member can contact me if I'm listed as "Interested" in that topic.

4. It would be good to set it up so a member can add/edit their own interests, thus reducing overheads and improving relevance.

5. Some time ago I suggested another type of database via the Yahoo Group and had little response. I believe the society would also benefit from a "Light Railway" database. Fields obviously would include gauge/industry but most importantly the GPS location. In this way the data can be used with Google Earth or in my case the navigation software that I have in my truck to show me points of interest as I travel around the country.

6. I have had considerable experience with databases but that was 20 years ago. I can however offer advice and I have a son who is in the modern day database industry whom I could prevail on for advice. Perhaps a "database committee" should be formed?

Bob Backway, Belgrave Hts, Victoria, Australia
Commodore, Lake Eyre Yacht Club   LakeEyreYC.com

alarchaeologist

Thanks for your comments, Bob.  Your database of people with areas of interest sounds great.  I, for one, am specializing in tracking down railways of all kinds in the Ipswich area; with particular emphasis on tracing where lines used to run and mapping them via GIS

With respect to a database of lines I put together one for Queensland a few years ago; again for all types of railways.  This is less accurate and up-to-date the further you are away from the south-east corner of Qld.  I have attached a sample of the greater Ipswich region plus original notes.  If the database can be any use to the LRRSA please let me know.

Alister Cameron  Thagoona Qld.

Bob Backway

Yep, this is a good example of what can be done. However (and not criticising your excellent effort) I hope to have it as a web based tool rather than a file.

Bob Backway, Belgrave Hts, Victoria, Australia
Commodore, Lake Eyre Yacht Club   LakeEyreYC.com

David Halfpenny

Bob,

I’m pleased you specifically intend that, because the word ‘database’ means different things to different people :-)

David 1/2d

On 11 Feb 2020, at 09:11, Bob Backway <bob_backway@...> wrote:

Yep, this is a good example of what can be done. However (and not criticising your excellent effort) I hope to have it as a web based tool rather than a file.

Bob Backway, Belgrave Hts, Victoria, Australia
Commodore, Lake Eyre Yacht Club   LakeEyreYC.com

alarchaeologist

Thanks Bob and David.  Would be interested in seeing what a web database looks like.  Have only previous seen web versions of Excel sheets.

alister