Topics

Cudgen's Decauville

Petan

Still researching my CSR Condong topic and found a puzzle for the cylinder size of Cudgen's Decauville steamer.

I have found four different published cylinder dimensions for Cudgen's Decauville Loco. Bruce Belbin did two articles, four months apart, in LR when he was editor and used a different cylinder size for the same locomotive in each article. I didn’t notice any LR follow up letter to the editor on the specific Decauville cylinder size topic. CC Singleton also wrote two articles on the topic with a different size in each article, eight years apart. John Armstrong’s 1976 article, noted below, matches Singleton’s second article.

I see 250mm x 320mm cylinders on p.6 of Bruce Belbin's 'Childers number 4 - A brief history of Fowler 16830, Part one - QLD' in LR 204 December 2008.

I see 210mm x 300mm on p.12 of the same author's (Bruce Belbin) follow up article, 'Childers number 4 - A brief history of Fowler 16830, Part two - NSW' in LR 206 April 2009

I see 9 in (228.6 mm) x 12.5in (317.5mm) in CC Singleton’s ARHS July 1940 Bulletin yet the same author’s, CC Singleton, ARHS July 1948 Bulletin states 9in x 12in (304.8mm), eight years later, so he may have found a different source in that eight years.

I see 9in diameter by 12in stroke cylinders in John Armstrong's 1976 Tweed ARHS Bulletin article.

No cylinder size for this loco in CS Small’s ‘Decauville Locomotives in Australia’, ARHS Bulletin April 1971.

The locomotive, 245 of 1897, was ordered for Penny & Co of Knockroe Sugar Mill, Cordalba, which is in the Isis district near Childers QLD.  Its  August 1897 arrival at Knockroe is recorded in Trove http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article21562872   This mill started operations about 1892 and continued until 1902, when it was sold to the CSR and the Decauville went to CSR’s Childers mill. It arrived at the then isolated Cudgen portion of CSR’s Condong sugar mill tramway system in 1913.

Cheers

Peter Cokley