Topics

Cudgen Kingscliff tramways

Petan

Two maps recently found in the Tweed Heads museum with one on the sand mining and the other sugar tramway. Both are available from my Google Drive site.

The sand mining one shows the titanium tramway at Cudgen with more information on that topic in Jim Longworth’s article in Light Railways magazine 207 June 2009. This map has the tramway drawn on a modern map with the map’s data shown on the map itself. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwOXFpZExEXzQ0UFE/view

The Cudgen sugar tramway map is hand drawn and is centred on the Cudgen town area with the mill and barracks indicated. More on the history of this line can be found in John Armstrong’s  ‘The sugar tramways of northern NSW’ in the June 1976 ARHS Bulletin. The undated Cudgen hand drawn map  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwaFJGVUlnZlBaTHM/view

Another Cudgen town map (1891) with the mill marked was located in the Tweed Museum some time ago. Not all streets marked on the southern side on the main east west road were built so just use the streets on the northern side if locating on a modern map.  I found the 26 January 1891 date lower left side. I think I have posted this before but not sure. Again, I scanned this as I found it  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwWmRDOG85VW5vU28/view

Another museum member who knew my tramway interest drew these maps to my attention. We don’t have any other information on who originally did these maps.

Long term readers would have already downloaded these following topographical maps.

Cudgen 1976 showing the sugar lines https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwaDg4R0VHNFlFLWs/view

Norries Head 1942 topographical with the beach sand mining tramway south of Kingscliff  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwejI4ZE5ZY0t1bGs/view

Cheers

Peter Cokley