Topics

Corrimal mine

Roderick Smith

I'm not sure what this was illustrating.

200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg

Roderick

Ross Mainwaring

Hi Roderick,

This is the entrance (very ornate) to the coal mine at Corrimal. It was a most unique entrance to the transport tunnel

Regards,
Ross Mainwaring

On 31 Aug 2020, at 2:31 pm, Roderick Smith via groups.io <rnveditor=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:

I'm not sure what this was illustrating.

200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg

Roderick

<200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg>

rthorne475

Ross,

That's pretty obvious, but what is the relevance of Sept 1st, 1802?  And what is the occasion?

Cheers,

Richard

On Monday, 31 August 2020, 08:54:43 BST, Ross Mainwaring <rossmainwaring@...> wrote:

Hi Roderick,

This is the entrance (very ornate) to the coal mine at Corrimal. It was a most unique entrance to the transport tunnel

Regards,
Ross Mainwaring

> On 31 Aug 2020, at 2:31 pm, Roderick Smith via groups.io <rnveditor=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what this was illustrating.
>
> 200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg
>
> Roderick
>

> <200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg>

JH

It probably should read 1902. On the 1st September 1902 the Corrimal Balgownie Collieries took over the mine from The Southern Coal Company https://www.illawarracoal.com/minebase/minebase-a-c/129-corrimal-colliery.html

That's pretty obvious, but what is the relevance of Sept 1st, 1802?  And what is the occasion?

Cheers,

Richard

On Monday, 31 August 2020, 08:54:43 BST, Ross Mainwaring <rossmainwaring@...> wrote:

Hi Roderick,

This is the entrance (very ornate) to the coal mine at Corrimal. It was a most unique entrance to the transport tunnel

Regards,
Ross Mainwaring

> On 31 Aug 2020, at 2:31 pm, Roderick Smith via groups.io <rnveditor=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what this was illustrating.
>
> 200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg
>
> Roderick
>

> <200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg>

Ross Mainwaring

Hi Richard,

I contacted the local coal historian about the date 1802 but it has him baffled. This date is way too early for any coal mining  beginnings down that way. He is going to make enquires for me. Perhaps the date is wrong???? Should be 1902.
The workmen appear to be just a normal shift, not necessarily anything special.
Ross

Sent from Outlook

That's pretty obvious, but what is the relevance of Sept 1st, 1802?  And what is the occasion?

Cheers,

Richard

On Monday, 31 August 2020, 08:54:43 BST, Ross Mainwaring <rossmainwaring@...> wrote:

Hi Roderick,

This is the entrance (very ornate) to the coal mine at Corrimal. It was a most unique entrance to the transport tunnel

Regards,
Ross Mainwaring

> On 31 Aug 2020, at 2:31 pm, Roderick Smith via groups.io <rnveditor=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what this was illustrating.
>
> 200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg
>
> Roderick
>

> <200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg>

rthorne475

Dear Ross,

John Hyett has provided the answer: an error by the painter!

Cheers,

Richard

On Monday, 31 August 2020, 12:22:22 BST, Ross Mainwaring <rossmainwaring@...> wrote:

Hi Richard,

I contacted the local coal historian about the date 1802 but it has him baffled. This date is way too early for any coal mining  beginnings down that way. He is going to make enquires for me. Perhaps the date is wrong???? Should be 1902.
The workmen appear to be just a normal shift, not necessarily anything special.
Ross

Sent from Outlook

That's pretty obvious, but what is the relevance of Sept 1st, 1802?  And what is the occasion?

Cheers,

Richard

On Monday, 31 August 2020, 08:54:43 BST, Ross Mainwaring <rossmainwaring@...> wrote:

Hi Roderick,

This is the entrance (very ornate) to the coal mine at Corrimal. It was a most unique entrance to the transport tunnel

Regards,
Ross Mainwaring

> On 31 Aug 2020, at 2:31 pm, Roderick Smith via groups.io <rnveditor=yahoo.com.au@groups.io> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure what this was illustrating.
>
> 200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg
>
> Roderick
>

> <200608M-'CanberraTimes'-Illawarra-mine.jpg>

John Garaty

Edited

Hi Roderick, all,
Mining started at the Brookers Nose Colliery sometime in the late 1860's as indicated in the Illawarra Coal Minebase link. The sign was actually at the later Daylight Mine, about a mile further south at what became Corrimal Colliery after Brookers Nose closed in the early 1900's.

The Canberra Times photo is a cropped photo of the original shown in the Illawarra Coal Minebase link. That link is at present the most complete collection of information about Corrimal Colliery. Although initially written with primarily a mining focus, key dates relating to the coal transport systems used have been added.

My suspicion is that the 1902 photo relied heavily on some darkroom "fudging". See the initial 1892 photo of G.S.Yuill's takeover sign.

The bolt holes and shadow of the timber uprights that held the sign could still be seen on the Corrimal portal in 2013. (File P1010691a)

And here's our attempt at the sign, (sign modelled by Geoff Potter) as part of our Corrimal Colliery Incline layout. (File 1240452a)

Provided that It doesn't put too many noses out of joint, I could put up a photo album of some parts of the model and some of the research (a lot of it was LRRSA-based, LR60 being one of the key sources of information for the model)

Regards,
John Garaty

Hunslet

Thanks for including me in your email to Rod.

Interesting discussion.

Why not put up your photos?

Cheers,

Pete.

My suspicion is that the 1902 photo relied heavily on some darkroom "fudging". See the initial 1892 photo of G.S.Yuill's takeover sign.

The bolt holes and shadow of the timber uprights that held the sign could still be seen on the Corrimal portal in 2013. (File P1010691a)

And here's our attempt at the sign, (sign modelled by Geoff Potter) as part of our Corrimal Colliery Incline layout. (File 1240452a)

Provided that It doesn't put too many noses out of joint, I could put up a photo album of some parts of the model and some of the research (a lot of it was LRRSA-based, LR60 being one of the key sources of information for the model)

Regards,
John Garaty

John Garaty

Hi Pete, all
I thought I'd better ask first. The building of an industrial model railway, even an "interesting" one like Corrimal with its 2' gauge tramway and incline might not fully align with some of the key aims of the LRRSA.

I will admit that there is probably a history degree or doctorate in the amount of material we've uncovered, had to sift through, resolve conflicting information shown in undated historic photos, work out how the prototype worked and then adjust the level of realism of both operation and scenery that we could build into a portable layout that was planned for exhibition to the public. As far as we know, so far we have the only operational model of a self-acting continuous cable incline anywhere. How we did it, well that's another story, or, should I say saga,

Pete was lucky enough to see the whole layout operating at one of its few public outings back in 2018. At present we are in the process of replacing placeholder buildings at the mine used from 2017 with more detailed models. The layout was supposed to do its first public exhibition this year, but Covid scuppered that when the exhibition was deferred to next year.

If there is any interest I can add photos to a dedicated album in the Photos area and we can discuss things further in new topic in the Messages area,

Frank Stamford

John,

There is absolutely no problems with the Moderators of this Group if you do what you propose.

“Light Railways” is not a model railway magazine, because we have to draw boundaries - there is more information available to publish than the space available. But we don’t have that limitation here.

(The very foundations of the LRRSA arose because of the difficulties of finding enough information to make accurate models of the Powelltown tramway!)

The prototype information you mention would probably be very good material for LR.

On 1 Sep 2020, at 22:27, John Garaty <jkgaraty@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Frank,
I've kicked off the Photo Album with 2 initial images:
  • the layout as displayed in May 2018
  • a diagram of the 12 modules comprising the layout showing a representation of the tracks on each module.
I'll kick off a new discussion topic for the model soon
John Garaty
Unanderra