Topics

Commonwealth Engineering - history

Phil Rickard <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...>

Railway historians and enthusiasts may be interested in the first
volume (of three) of a newly-published account of Waddingtons
Ltd/Commonwealth Enginering, covering the years 1921 to 1955.

The front cover features a Phil Belbin painting of Comeng-built "D2"
shunting at the Port Kembla blast furnace of Australian Iron and
Steel. (though personally I preferred the "Light Railways" front cover
on LR184 depicting Phil's painting of a Baldwin steam tram shunting at
Waddington's Glanville works - what a pity Comeng didn't build steam
trams, only electric trams!)

One presumes Vol 2 will include more rail-orientated production
including sugar-cane tramway locomotives

More details at the publisher's web site:
http://www.rosenbergpub.com.au/handleProduct.asp?id=71&catid=2

cheers Phil

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

wrote:

The front cover features a Phil Belbin painting of
Comeng-built "D2"
shunting at the Port Kembla blast furnace of
Australian Iron and
Steel. (though personally I preferred the "Light
Railways" front cover
on LR184 depicting Phil's painting of a Baldwin
steam tram shunting at
Waddington's Glanville works - what a pity Comeng
didn't build steam
trams, only electric trams!)>>>>>>
Hi Phil/all,
Had a real quick browse through the book
at the Newcastle exhibition. It was obviously quick as
I didn't realise the cover was a painting and not a
real shot :-)
Certainly seems to be well worth the cost. I would
have grabbed it there and then but my finances are
headed to towards a layout, Fiji and the Philippines
in coming months.
However I have to say (and I now a few on the group
will not be surprised) that I was glad to see D2 on
the cover. :-)

Cheers
Brad

#### LocoShed Australasia Website ####
http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html
** Australian Industrial & Preserved Railways.
** Railways of the Philippines and South East Asia
** LocoShed Express in 'Railway Digest'
** Asst editor: Asia-Rail magazine.

http://mail.yahoo.com