Topics

Choppers and Chippers

B.Rumary

The LRRSA has a new book out - "Choppers and Chippers" by Norm Houghton.

Can anyone tell me how much information in this book covers logging tramways? There's no real information on this point in the blurb on the LRRSA book sales website.

--
Brian Rumary
England

Frank Stamford

Hello Brian,

The LRRSA is selling "Choppers and Chippers" but did not publish it. It was published by the author.

I do not have a copy so I cannot comment on your specific question, and it is a reasonable question.

I have seen a copy and remember being very impressed with many of the photographs. They were tempting, but I am attracted by historic photographs of things other than tramways.

But it is a sawmilling history, not specifically a tramway history, many of the pictures and some of the text is about sawmilling in the post tramway era.

Hopefully someone else on this Group might have a copy and be able to give you a more helpful response. In the meantime I will make some enquiries and if I find out more I will respond again here.

Rgards,
Frank

On 2/07/2019 1:30 am, B.Rumary wrote:

The LRRSA has a new book out - "Choppers and Chippers" by Norm Houghton.

Can anyone tell me how much information in this book covers logging tramways? There's no real information on this point in the blurb on the LRRSA book sales website.

--
Brian Rumary
England
brian(at)rumary.co.uk

John Dennis

Hello Brian,

Fixing the description of this book has been on my to-do list for a little while. Unfortunately Norman Houghton (author and publisher) does not provide a blurb himself, and the book was added to our stock lists in a hurry to meet Light Railways deadlines, before we had even seen a copy ourselves. At the time I had very little information to go on.

Choppers and Chippers is a logging history, covering all facets of the industry. There are some wonderful tramway photos and information, but it is not a "railway" book as such. It covers the logging industry in the West Otway, and is a companion volume to Sawdust and Steam, which covers the East Otways. Both boos taken together expand significantly on Norm's earlier work, The Beechy.

Hope this helps,
John Dennis
LRRSA Sales

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 at 01:30, B.Rumary <brian@...> wrote:

The LRRSA has a new book out - "Choppers and Chippers" by Norm Houghton.

Can anyone tell me how much information in this book covers logging tramways? There's no real information on this point in the blurb on the LRRSA book sales website.

--
Brian Rumary
England
brian(at)rumary.co.uk

Frank Stamford

Thanks John. That is helping to build up a picture of where the book sits.

On 2 Jul 2019, at 11:11 am, John Dennis <jdennis412@...> wrote:

[...]

Regarding "Choppers and Chippers" which was published by the author, I have these two comments from people who handle LRRSA sales orders:

Choppers and Chippers is a logging history, covering all facets of the industry. There are some wonderful tramway photos and information, but it is not a "railway" book as such. It covers the logging industry in the West Otway, and is a companion volume to Sawdust and Steam, which covers the East Otways. Both books taken together expand significantly on Norm's earlier work, The Beechy.

and:

As Norm explained it, Choppers & Chippers is the companion book to Sawdust & Steam and both books together replace The Beechy.

It is very much about the tramways, but has been expanded to include more of the social history associated with the sawmills and tramways of the Otway Ranges. Both books also include much information that was not yet discovered when The Beechy was written.

As I said previously it includes the logging industry in the post tramway era, with road transport and bulldozers.

That is all I can add at this stage.