Topics

Cave Hill Siding near Lilydale

David in Avenel

Hi all,

I'm looking to complete some records about this siding and oddly I don't know when it closed or was removed.  Neither does it appear to be recorded just when it might have been used last.   Any information about this would be greatly appreciated.

--
best wishes,
David in Avenel.au

Robin Hicks

Hi,

I guess you have gleaned what you can from

https://www.railpage.com.au/f-p1721759.htm

Robin Hicks

David in Avenel

Yes thank you I did see that thread.  Unfortunately I don't have any confidence with people who do not put their real name on the post and before you comment on this, I do realise that if they put John Smith how would I know that was their real name.  It is a real problem which is why I nearly always tend to read and then go and find out the supporting evidence.   Now having mentioned the nom-de-plume; I do know who Dutton Bay is but who is Ballast Plough and Lad Porter not to mention the myriad of Chief Commissioners, who are they and what is their historical background?  Yep fussy I know but in historical research you can't be too careful.
--
best wishes,
David in Avenel.au
{Before you change anything, learn why it is the way it is.)

Petan

Ballast Plough shows his name as Brendan McKenna, Member / Volunteer PBR, YVTR, past member of PRR, VGR!!!

I am Petan on Railpage although I did not post on that thread. Chief Commissioners bit is a Railpage ranking from the number of posts or something similar, not a railway employee job description. Maybe time you joined Railpage yourself so you can use the Railpage personal message system to contact any member of interest and ask about the supporting evidence, especially if you give your reason for asking. Generally speaking I have got a good response that way for my rail archaeological questions. Expect a low percentage of clowns but that is the same for all community groups, even when you meet them face to face.

David, I notice you also only show your first name and no surname so I would have similar difficulties citing your name if I needed to use any of your LRRSA posts in my research articles.

Cheers

Peter Cokley

Yes thank you I did see that thread.  Unfortunately I don't have any confidence with people who do not put their real name on the post and before you comment on this, I do realise that if they put John Smith how would I know that was their real name.  It is a real problem which is why I nearly always tend to read and then go and find out the supporting evidence.   Now having mentioned the nom-de-plume; I do know who Dutton Bay is but who is Ballast Plough and Lad Porter not to mention the myriad of Chief Commissioners, who are they and what is their historical background?  Yep fussy I know but in historical research you can't be too careful.

--

best wishes,
David in Avenel.au
{Before you change anything, learn why it is the way it is.)

David Halfpenny

On 27 Mar 2017, at 05:22, espee8800 espee8800@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

 I don't have any confidence with people who do not put their real name on the post

To be blunt, I bar unsigned posts from my 'society' groups - unless (as in this message) the name of the person can be deduced from the email address or nickname.
I make exceptions for minor royals and service personnel.

David 1/2d
(real name Halfpenny)