Topics

Bundaberg

Petan

Two from Bundaberg 1967 plus a Tweed question please. My father visited Bundaberg  on a work trip in 1967 and spotted a chopper harvester plus a mechanical long stalk loading onto a wagon. Rails under wagons not obvious but could be hidden by the stalks? I am only posting low resolutions and higher resolution available.

The third is from a slide a mate I have not seen for years gave me c1972 and shows 2 x 44 class NSWGR plus a guards can on the **maybe **Condong line which is the location on which I would like confirmation please? Could the background be sugar? If so than maybe Condong as I don't know of any other possible location with sugar. If wheat or corn etc, than the possibilities are endless. The  1968 WTT availability list for the Condong extension included the mainline 44 class diesel electric locomotive. Bulk sugar was trucked to CSR refinery in New Farm Brisbane by the 44 class era as I have a 1956 image of that but Condong had molasses tank loaders so maybe molasses?

Cane loader 1967 Bundaberg    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lnzzsVm_MXdJ8MkTQ0crBnoBO38qLWfx/view

Cane harvester 1967 Bundaberg https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_LGAfb50fSnLRR6LuKIYdWm4vN-UPyXn/view

2 x 44 class maybe Tweed Condong    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xUFCt85Kxeowk0jqwcbG6UggyuG6BGFP/view

Cheers

Peter Cokley

Eddie Oliver

The third is from a slide a mate I have not seen for years gave me c1972 and shows 2 x 44 class NSWGR plus a guards can on the **maybe **Condong line which is the location on which I would like confirmation please? Could the background be sugar? If so than maybe Condong as I don't know of any other possible location with sugar. If wheat or corn etc, than the possibilities are endless. The  1968 WTT availability list for the Condong extension included the mainline 44 class diesel electric locomotive. Bulk sugar was trucked to CSR refinery in New Farm Brisbane by the 44 class era

The imagery at https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/ is remarkably complete in displaying the remains of the Condong line (just start at the north end of Murwillumbah yard)

Bruce Wood

Hi Peter,

The photo of the 2 x 44 class back-to-back are more than likely the units off the Gold Coast Motorail Express. Arrival at Murwillumbah at about 11.25 am and departure about 15.25 pm. The units are probably secured during this time.

The Motorail commenced operation in March 1973.

Cheers
Bruce

[...]

Tony Smith

And using Google Maps and their Street View function, there is any number of points along Tweed Valley Way (the former Pacific Highway) where you can replicate that view of the 44s with the same hills in the background.