Topics

Broad guage line to Morwell Briquette factory

Iain

I am tidying up a few loose ends on a project – In LR 84 Buckland  has a map showing the general area of Yallourn and Morwell including the broad gauge line to the Briquette factory as a return loop around the factory. Now looking at the various maps I have, which are topographic maps not SEC maps  – they all show the line as a line running to the east of the factory and then on to Hazelwood Power Station.

Is it likely the Buckland might have worked off a map showing a planned loop but what was built was different or was a loop originally built but altered a few years later to serve Hazelwood.

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Iain_Stuart@...

Peter Knife

I lived in Morwell from 1960 to 1968. Only half of the planned briquette factory was actually built, and the balloon loop was to have been part of the final stages of the project. The line was built as you suggest, just to the east of the factory. It was extended to Hazelwood as a construction siding when work began on Hazelwood, around 1961 (from memory).

Briquette trains with electric or diesel power ran through to the briquette factory, but the line from Morwell yard was a “siding” and was also available for RT tractors. Many times I saw an RT scurrying along either light or with a wagon or two from one end to the other, presumably depending on shunting needs.

Cheers,

Peter