Topics

Australia's Colourful American Locomotives - a proposed new LRRSA book. - Parramatta SFL Steam Motor 2 and trailer at Parramatta Park Gatehouse c1890.jpg

Bill Bolton <billbolton@...>

Attached is another small photo of SFL 2 with an open platform trailer
at the Parramatta Park Gatehouse circa 1890. The photo has come via a
NSW State archive, but I am uncertain exactly what the exact
provenance is.

Every other SFL tram shot I have seen at this location just showed a
stub terminal on George Street, so another surprise for me was that
the tracks once turned onto O'Connell Street.... though it does
explain why the Northern corner of that intersection is somewhat
"shaved", right through to this day!

BTW, George St Parramatta becomes bidirectional again from the end of
November 2019.

Bill Bolton
Sydney, Australia

Tony Smith

Looking at the Six Maps 1943 images shows the tram tracks turning not into O'Connell street, but into a terminal loop actually on the lot of land now occupied by the Parramatta Children's Court. This lot on the corner of George St and OConnell St was the original Depot for the trams. The "shaved" intersection you describe was a narrow peninsula of land that separated the loop from O'Connell St. While the Loop was part of the land the Children's Court is on, the "pensinsula" was resumed to become part of a wider O'Connell  St.

As the SFL trams ceased in March 1943, the Six Maps images show that the turn towards O'Connell St remained right to the end of the line (in both respects!)

On Wednesday, 6 November 2019, 11:46:07 am AEDT, Bill Bolton <billbolton@...> wrote:

Attached is another small photo of SFL 2 with an open platform trailer
at the Parramatta Park Gatehouse circa 1890.  The photo has come via a
NSW State archive, but I am uncertain exactly what the exact
provenance is.

Every other SFL tram shot I have seen at this location just showed a
stub terminal on George Street, so another surprise for me was that
the tracks once turned onto O'Connell Street.... though it does
explain why the Northern corner of that intersection is somewhat
"shaved", right through to this day!

BTW, George St Parramatta becomes bidirectional again from the end of
November 2019.

Bill Bolton
Sydney, Australia

Terry

Edited

I agree with Tony's observation that the terminal loop was on land to the side of O'Connell Street.
I can still remember watching trams running around in the loop and shunting at the (Domain) Park Gates terminus.
I do not recall a stub terminal in George Street as mentioned by Bill Bolton and a loop would have been necessary for the runaround and to facilitate shunting the nearby Meggitts Linseed Oil Factory site on the other (Southern) side of George Street.
While the points of the track leading into the factory are not visible in the photograph these were located about the bottom of the picture and led to its left and were trailing for trams proceeding from Redbank to Park Gates.
The terminal loop site was vacant for a long time after trams ceased running and rails of parts of the nearby sidings within Megitts were subsequently visible for many years after the factory was dismantled and until the construction of the Commonwealth Law Courts on that site.
There is local speculation that there are still tramway rails under parts of George Street.
Terry Boardman
Queenscliff