Topics

Admin: Photo Attachments!

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

Morning all,
Just wanting members views on whether or
not photographic attachments should be accepted on
group posts or whether it be limited to the
files/photos sections?
We are able to permit them so photos can be posted
occasionally for discussion.
Otherwise they can be placed into the other sections
where members who actually have a Yahoo account can
view them.

Interested in your thoughts. THe group is currently
set up with the default setting of allowing them.

Brad

#### LocoShed Australasia Website ####
http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html
** Australian Industrial & Preserved Railways.
** Railways of the Philippines and South East Asia
** LocoShed Express in 'Railway Digest'
** Asst editor: Asia-Rail magazine.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Frank Stamford

Brad,

I don't think attachments should be allowed to emails to this group.

I think there is a security risk with this relating to viruses etc.

Most groups I belong to don't allow it, and I am reluctant to join groups that do.

<http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html>http://www.geocities.com/steelhaven_ee/LocoShed.html
** Australian Industrial & Preserved Railways.
** Railways of the Philippines and South East Asia
** LocoShed Express in 'Railway Digest'
** Asst editor: Asia-Rail magazine.

<http://mail.yahoo.com>http://mail.yahoo.com

Phil Rickard <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...>

Gents,

Being a total novice to any sort of online group, can I just re-cap
here? Are there two ways of putting photos on the group site?

One in the Photos tab and one by attaching them to a posting?

If the attachment option is a security risk, can I take it that the
Photo section is safe/safer?

thanks Phil

--- In LRRSA@..., Frank Stamford <frank.stamford@b...>
wrote:

[...]

Phil,

Yes there are two methods, attaching to emails - which is generally considered a risk, and uploading to the files section in Yahoo groups, which is generally considered to be safe.

wrote:

[...]

<<http://mail.yahoo.com>http://mail.yahoo.com>http://mail.yahoo.com

Ron Aubrey

Hi Brad, all,

I do not think it is a good idea to have attachments.
Photos can go inthe files easily enough.

Brad, Can you call me at home please? (07-5446 7784).

Regards, Ron A.

--- BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...> wrote:

[...]

protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the
editors of LRRSA publications for use in those
publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA
web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests
with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of
postings are those of their authors and opinions
expressed do not necessarily conform with those of
any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of
Management"

Yahoo! Groups Links

http://mail.yahoo.com

Phil Rickard <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...>

Thanks Frank,

So if one did have a photo for discussion etc., one could post it in
the Photos section and separately post a message that it was there to
be looked at but that all comment/discussion is to be on the Message
board.

Sounds a safer way to go - the last thing I need is any sort of virus!

cheers Phil

wrote:

[...]

Yes you could post it to the Photos section and the system will
automatically generate a message to the group(if you ask it to by
ticking the appropriate box).

You can also place other types of files such Word files or pdf files.

(I have found a lot of useful model railway information as files in
Yahoo groups, for example English translations of German instructions
for loco kits, and I have posted my own English language instructions
for a German loco kit!)

--- In LRRSA@..., "Phil Rickard"

wrote:

Phil,

Yes there are two methods, attaching to emails - which is generally
considered a risk, and uploading to the files section in Yahoo
groups,
which is generally considered to be safe.

BLI BLI <alcogoodwin@...>

Hi Phil/everyone,
I will be setting the group up for no
attachments and as said you can always post a seperate
message with a link to the group or choose for
Yahoogroups to do this automatically at the time you
are downloading the photo.

Regards
Brad