Light Railways 272

John Dennis

Hello All,

Good News...

Light Railways 272 (April 2020) has now been entrusted to Australia Post. As mentioned recently this has been a long, drawn out process, but it is finally completed.
The contents of this issue:

* Early internal-combustion locomotives in Australia - an interesting look back in time by John Browning
* Tasmanian Main Line Railway -
* Looking back featuring two lovely photos of bananas being transported by rail in Queensland
* Garratt locomotive at Colac, Victoria - 1935 - a report from the Australian Portland Cement Compnay on the VR Garratt, prior to purchasing their own Garratts.
* plus the usual Industrial Railway News, Letters, Field Reports and Heritage & Tourist News.

LR272 should be appearing in member's letter boxes later this week, or if you are not a member, at your local Newsagent. Or buy from the LRRSA online shop in either printed or PDF format.

John Dennis
LRRSA Sales

B.Rumary

Do you know if Air Mail still getting out of Australia to the wider would - like to the UK?

--
Brian Rumary
England

John Dennis

Good question Brian  There are still flights - Qantas are flying one-stop to London with a stop in Darwin at the moment. However the Australia Post website:  https://auspost.com.au/about-us/news-media/important-updates/coronavirus/coronavirus-international-updates has a long list of countries with known service delays. For the UK it states " From today, we expect significant delays to United Kingdom due to flight cancellations and government restrictions because of COVID-19. We anticipate delays of up to 2 - 4 weeks. Express items will be given priority over Standard and Economy items during this time."  I doubt whether the magazines posted today were sent Express.

Hopefully you will receive 272 before 273 is printed.

Incidentally I received the April issue of 009 News last week, just one day after I received the March one.

John Dennis
John

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 at 21:07, B.Rumary <brian@...> wrote:

Do you know if Air Mail still getting out of Australia to the wider would - like to the UK?

--
Brian Rumary
England
brian(at)rumary.co.uk

Stephen Percy Larcombe

Australia post sent out a list of countries that want be getting airmail for a month or two, mostly South American, some African, and some Central Asian/middle east countries, but Europe and USA etc seem to still be okay.

Yours
Stephen

Do you know if Air Mail still getting out of Australia to the wider would - like to the UK?

--
Brian Rumary
England
brian(at)rumary.co.uk

Kevin Sewell

I KNEW they shouldn't have scrapped Oriana, Canberra, Oronsay ... et al!!!!!