Topics

White Island Volcano New Zealand

Bob Backway

Thanks for the link Phil. None of the equipment in the library images matches what I saw/photographed on the island. The volcano has had a few goes at destroying remains and the sulphurous air has rusted even the largest cast wheels/gears!

Bob Backway, Belgrave Hts, Victoria, Australia
Commodore, Lake Eyre Yacht Club   LakeEyreYC.com

Phil Rickard

If you go to https://natlib.govt.nz/collections#  and in the search box put  "Sulphur mines and mining" [include the inverted commas!]
you'll find a couple of online pics with side-tipping trucks, one being filled and one being pushed into the works.
Also the descriptions of several others not online and the magic words  railway lines.

cheers  Phil Rickard

Bob Backway

Just been through the many images I took in 2013. Some have rail lying around. There's an image of rail used to edge a contemporary walkway along what was once a loading ramp. A very rusty length of what may be Barlow rail and a axle - diff set of about 3' guage with hard rubber tyres on about 2' diameter solid wheels. However no remaining track in situ - not unexpected in view of the volcanic activity that closed the mine!

It is of concern to me that there is no cross posting of threads between the Facebook group and the Groups.io list. Not good for a reputable research organisation to split its members!

Bob Backway, Belgrave Hts, Victoria, Australia
Commodore, Lake Eyre Yacht Club   LakeEyreYC.com

Hunslet

Photo attachment worked.

Hunslet