Topics

White Island Volcano New Zealand

Bob Backway

Thanks for the link Phil. None of the equipment in the library images matches what I saw/photographed on the island. The volcano has had a few goes at destroying remains and the sulphurous air has rusted even the largest cast wheels/gears!

Bob Backway, Belgrave Hts, Victoria, Australia
Commodore, Lake Eyre Yacht Club   LakeEyreYC.com

Phil Rickard

If you go to https://natlib.govt.nz/collections#  and in the search box put  "Sulphur mines and mining" [include the inverted commas!]
you'll find a couple of online pics with side-tipping trucks, one being filled and one being pushed into the works.
Also the descriptions of several others not online and the magic words  railway lines.

cheers  Phil Rickard

Bob Backway

Just been through the many images I took in 2013. Some have rail lying around. There's an image of rail used to edge a contemporary walkway along what was once a loading ramp. A very rusty length of what may be Barlow rail and a axle - diff set of about 3' guage with hard rubber tyres on about 2' diameter solid wheels. However no remaining track in situ - not unexpected in view of the volcanic activity that closed the mine!

It is of concern to me that there is no cross posting of threads between the Facebook group and the Groups.io list. Not good for a reputable research organisation to split its members!

Bob Backway, Belgrave Hts, Victoria, Australia
Commodore, Lake Eyre Yacht Club   LakeEyreYC.com

Hunslet

Photo attachment worked.

Hunslet

From: LRRSA@groups.io [mailto:LRRSA@groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Stratton
Sent: Monday, 16 December 2019 9:25 PM
To: LRRSA@groups.io
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] White Island Volcano New Zealand

I’m not sure if we can attach photos so I’ll give it a go. I couldn’t find photos of any tramway remains on White Island, this looks like the ruins of a processing plant.

Regards,

Chris

From: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Browning
Sent: Sunday, 15 December 2019 8:18 PM

A general description of the disaster affecting the White Island Sulphur Company in 1914 is here: https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/disaster-at-white-island/

John 

Chris Stratton

I’m not sure if we can attach photos so I’ll give it a go. I couldn’t find photos of any tramway remains on White Island, this looks like the ruins of a processing plant.

Regards,

Chris

From: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Browning
Sent: Sunday, 15 December 2019 8:18 PM

A general description of the disaster affecting the White Island Sulphur Company in 1914 is here: https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/disaster-at-white-island/

John 

Chris Stratton

I visited White Island in 2013 and have photos of the building and machinery remains, I don't recall any tramway remains but didn't know there had been tramways so wasn't looking for them.

Regards,
Chris

----- Original Message -----
LRRSA@groups.io

To:
<LRRSA@groups.io>
Cc:

Sent:
Sun, 15 Dec 2019 00:26:31 -0800
Subject:
Re: [LRRSA] White Island Volcano New Zealand

There were definitely tramways used there (for sulphur extraction) and there are remains.   But any article wasn't in
Light Railways.  There was an article in the NZ Railway Observer No.338 for Aug/Sept 2016 "Industrial tramways of White Island" by Bill Prebble.
maybe there was an earlier one?   To quote Wayne Duncan's Flickr page:

"It was constructed for sulphur mining operations on the active volcano off the coast of Whakatane in the eastern Bay of Plenty during 1914 -1930, the sulphur being shipped to Sulphur Point in Tauranga where it was processed."

An internet search (a few years ago) found some basic stuff and pictures of remains of trucks etc.
Trying an internet search now is very difficult unless one is very specific.

cheers    Phil Rickard

Email sent using Optus Webmail

Tony Coen

There is a little bit of movie film.

Cheers, Tony Coen.

Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2019 8:18 PM

A general description of the disaster affecting the White Island Sulphur Company in 1914 is here: https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/disaster-at-white-island/

John 

John Browning

John 

Mike

Looking at 'White Island' on Wikipedia there are currently  two photos, one of corroded gearing & what MIGHT be the body of a truck  -  also links to a mention of 'trucks' being used for sulphur extraction.

Cheers

Mike Jackson

From: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io> on behalf of Phil Rickard <starry44@...>
Sent: 15 December 2019 08:26
To: LRRSA@groups.io <LRRSA@groups.io>

There were definitely tramways used there (for sulphur extraction) and there are remains.   But any article wasn't in
Light Railways.  There was an article in the NZ Railway Observer No.338 for Aug/Sept 2016 "Industrial tramways of White Island" by Bill Prebble.

"It was constructed for sulphur mining operations on the active volcano off the coast of Whakatane in the eastern Bay of Plenty during 1914 -1930, the sulphur being shipped to Sulphur Point in Tauranga where it was processed."

An internet search (a few years ago) found some basic stuff and pictures of remains of trucks etc.

cheers    Phil Rickard

Phil Rickard

cheers    Phil Rickard

Stephen Percy Larcombe

I have a vague recollection of an article, which was in Light Railways back in the 1980s or there abouts relating to sulphur mining on a volcanic island in New Zealand, and associated tramway, I think a converted Fordson tractor was used to haul with. The mining enterprise was destroyed twice by eruptions, this sounds like the volcano that is currently in the news?

Does any one remember this article?

Yours
Stephen