Indonesian oil-fired industrial tank loco

Frank Savery

Hi Guys,

About 15 years ago, when I lived up in Sunny Queensland,I was Hon. Sec. of the S. E. Queensland branch of the LRRSA  and we had a nice guy who came every so often to give us a lecture and enthrall us with his photos of early Indonesian industrial steam locos.

He showed some fascinating photos of a small tank loco which had been converted to oil-firing and to store the fuel they had adopted the novel expedient of strapping a couple of 44-gallon oil drums up on top of the roof so that the diesel fuel fed by gravity into the firebox furnace.

I always liked the idea, and Now, I'd like to kitbash one of my small On30 steamers into an oil-fired loco using this idea, BUT, now, I can't remember If the two 44-gal drums were strapped up on top of the cab roof or on the top of the firebox in front of the cab.

I wonder If anyone can recall seeing a photo of this kind of Indonesian 'backwoods' engineering on the internet, in a book or in a video ?

If so, I'd be very grateful If the could point me towards it.

Thanx. Much appreciated.

Frank Savery,

w-a-y down south in Tasmania

John Browning

Hi Frank

Top of the firebox in front of the cab was the usual spot.

Here is an example http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/sweetdreams/display.htm?small=wringinanom&large=Wringinanom&number=06

I think you have a patient search through the relevant pages of Rob Dickinson’s International Steam site, you will probably find some more examples of what you are looking for. Here might be a good place to start http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/sweetdreams/index.htm

If you email me off list, I can put you in contact with the gentleman you mention.

John

Chris Stratton

That would have the added benefit of preheating the oil wouldn’t it?

Regards,

Chris

Top of the firebox in front of the cab was the usual spot.

Here is an example http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/sweetdreams/display.htm?small=wringinanom&large=Wringinanom&number=06

I think you have a patient search through the relevant pages of Rob Dickinson’s International Steam site, you will probably find some more examples of what you are looking for. Here might be a good place to start http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/sweetdreams/index.htm

If you email me off list, I can put you in contact with the gentleman you mention.

John

B.Rumary

I saw quite a few of steam locos in Indonesia (Java) with ordinary oil drums fitted across the top of the boiler, to carry oil for the firebox. Some others had rectangular tanks in this position for the same purpose - to me they looked like domestic roof water tanks!

I think the reason for the oil-firing was at the start of the season, before sufficient supplies of "bagasse" (crushed cane) had been accumulated, as this was the normal loco fuel. The oil could also be used to speed up the raising of boiler pressure, and also if the loco ran out of bagasse on the run (it was consumed at quite a rate). I think it could also be used as as a "boost" to the fire when working hard.

In Romania in the steam era they used a similar system of auxiliary oil-firing on top of the usual coal, to boost performance of their locos - I don't think that Romania had access to good quality coal, but they had plenty of oil.

--
Brian Rumary
England