'Treasures from Trove' in 'Light Railways' N0.251 October 2016

Frank Stamford

Hello to all readers of 'Light Railways',

The Light Railways editorial team is looking for some feedback from readers on the two ‘Treasures from Trove’ items in LR 251, October 2016. These were ‘New Mountain Railway’ on page 15, and ‘Kingston’ on page 22.

The editor received comments from one reader that the items ‘jarred with me and broke up the flow of the magazine’.

These were last minute space fillers, which the editors thought would be of interest to readers. Consequently we were planning to continue using such items as space fillers. But if many readers find them jarring we might have to review that.

(wearing LR Associate Editor hat)

A C Lynn Zelmer

Hello Frank

I would encourage you to do more of this kind of thing, including appropriate advertisements, photographs, etc., as the need (space filling) and material permits. Such snippets can sometimes be just as informative as a fully researched paper and may lead at least one or two readers to look more closely at Trove, perhaps resulting in more of the fully researched papers that your reader would presumably prefer.

Thanks and best wishes,
   Lynn

--
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414 Main Post Office

Kevin Sewell

Quirky? Probably. Odd? Maybe. Filler? Certainly. But I wouldn't say they jarred, or broke up the flow of the magazine any more than the footers or page numbers do. But that's just my 'umble opinion.

On Sun, 4 Dec 2016 at 4:46 pm frank.stamford@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Hello to all readers of 'Light Railways',

The Light Railways editorial team is looking for some feedback from readers on the two ‘Treasures from Trove’ items in LR 251, October 2016. These were ‘New Mountain Railway’ on page 15, and ‘Kingston’ on page 22.

The editor received comments from one reader that the items ‘jarred with me and broke up the flow of the magazine’.

These were last minute space fillers, which the editors thought would be of interest to readers. Consequently we were planning to continue using such items as space fillers. But if many readers find them jarring we might have to review that.

(wearing LR Associate Editor hat)

--
Don't just answer the question, question the answer.

Mike Bickford <mikebickford@...>

Hi Frank,

‘Jarring’?  What on earth does that mean?
The magazine has a number of articles of various lengths in each issue, so what is the difference?
I have no problem with the snippets from Trove.  Very useful as fillers too.

Mike Bickford
Murrumburrah NSW

Hello to all readers of 'Light Railways',
The Light Railways editorial team is looking for some feedback from readers on the two ‘Treasures from Trove’ items in LR 251, October 2016. These were ‘New Mountain Railway’ on page 15, and ‘Kingston’ on page 22.

The editor received comments from one reader that the items ‘jarred with me and broke up the flow of the magazine’.

These were last minute space fillers, which the editors thought would be of interest to readers. Consequently we were planning to continue using such items as space fillers. But if many readers find them jarring we might have to review that.

(wearing LR Associate Editor hat)

Graham

Hi Frank
 I enjoy the 'fillers' from Trove and find them informative and as previously mentioned  often times promote an interest to pursue further information.

Keep up the good work Light Railways provides us with man y hours of reading and as mentioned hopefully the Trove items will encourage further research.
 Thank you
Graham

Eddie Oliver

I have no objection to items from Trove being used as fillers providing that they have some clear purpose, especially to encourage further research. But the Puffing Billy article seemed to have no clear purpose other than to fill space, and therefore I am inclined to agree with the 'jarring' description even though it is not a word that would have come to mind.

David Halfpenny

On 4 Dec 2016, at 05:46, frank.stamford@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:
The Light Railways editorial team is looking for some feedback from readers on the two ‘Treasures from Trove’ items in LR 251, October 2016. These were ‘New Mountain Railway’ on page 15, and ‘Kingston’ on page 22.

The editor received comments from one reader that the items ‘jarred with me and broke up the flow of the magazine’

Frank,

I am completely mystified.

Firstly, I am pleased to see occasional Primary Source material in the magazine.

Secondly, I found the Content of both items relevant and interesting.

Thirdly, my view is that both items actually improve the flow of the magazine.
Each one is a single block that takes us from the the footnotes of the previous article down to the bottom of the page, allowing the next article to begin at the top of a page. Surely, the same objection (and defence) could have been applied to whatever the editors might have used to fill these two awkward spaces (in the way that print editors have done since Caxton)? Apart, possibly, from adding (or enlarging) images so that each article exactly fills a whole number of pages.

Qualifier 1: I read Light Railways in PDF form, which means that I see the pages scroll downwards, like the sheets on a toilet roll, rather than scroll sideway in pairs like a book. For example, I have no idea whether Even and Odd numbered pages are Left ones or Right ones, and this may affect my view of Flow.

Qualifier 2: Personally, I’m obsessive about starting new pieces - new paragraphs even - on new pages.
I’d be very happy for the editors to continue embedding such nuggets tastefully in Light Railways, and suspect that the unfortunate objector is in for more jarring in future.

David Halfpenny
England

Chris Stratton

I thought they were interesting and worth reading

Regards,

Chris

Hello to all readers of 'Light Railways',

The Light Railways editorial team is looking for some feedback from readers on the two ‘Treasures from Trove’ items in LR 251, October 2016. These were ‘New Mountain Railway’ on page 15, and ‘Kingston’ on page 22.

The editor received comments from one reader that the items ‘jarred with me and broke up the flow of the magazine’.

These were last minute space fillers, which the editors thought would be of interest to readers. Consequently we were planning to continue using such items as space fillers. But if many readers find them jarring we might have to review that.

(wearing LR Associate Editor hat)

rthorne475

Frank,

I also am at a loss to understand how these two fillers can be objected to.  Depending on personal taste, they are as interesting or uninteresting as any other article.

In my view, if anything 'jarred with and broke up the flow of the magazine', it was the two pages given over to GPS.  I would have been happy with a brief paragraph…and, oh dear,  we are promised a follow up article!

Regards,

Richard Horne
England

Hello to all readers of 'Light Railways',

The Light Railways editorial team is looking for some feedback from readers on the two ‘Treasures from Trove’ items in LR 251, October 2016. These were ‘New Mountain Railway’ on page 15, and ‘Kingston’ on page 22.

The editor received comments from one reader that the items ‘jarred with me and broke up the flow of the magazine’.

These were last minute space fillers, which the editors thought would be of interest to readers. Consequently we were planning to continue using such items as space fillers. But if many readers find them jarring we might have to review that.

(wearing LR Associate Editor hat)

BM

Frank,

I had a Light Railways reader come to my office at ARHS last week with a complaint about the layout of this issue with the so-called ‘fillers’, but I had some difficulty in understanding why this was an issue! Using ‘fillers’ is a key component of the layout for Australian Railway History.

Regards

Bob McKillop

Hello to all readers of 'Light Railways',

The Light Railways editorial team is looking for some feedback from readers on the two ‘Treasures from Trove’ items in LR 251, October 2016. These were ‘New Mountain Railway’ on page 15, and ‘Kingston’ on page 22.

The editor received comments from one reader that the items ‘jarred with me and broke up the flow of the magazine’.

These were last minute space fillers, which the editors thought would be of interest to readers. Consequently we were planning to continue using such items as space fillers. But if many readers find them jarring we might have to review that.

(wearing LR Associate Editor hat)

denis.wasley

As the former editor of Australian Steam Power magazine, I grabbed fillers wherever I could find them. They are essential to any magazine.

Would suggest if anyone is “offended” by the fillers used, they send in their own for the LR editors to consider inclusion.

Cheers

Denis  Wasley

Berri SA

[...]

Petan

My experience is some of these fillers in LR and ARH actually are very interesting so please keep them coming. They provide a nice contrast to the more extensive articles and so add some variety and enrichment.

Cheers

Peter Cokley

I had a Light Railways reader come to my office at ARHS last week with a complaint about the layout of this issue with the so-called ‘fillers’, but I had some difficulty in understanding why this was an issue! Using ‘fillers’ is a key component of the layout for Australian Railway History.

Regards

Bob McKillop

Editor: Australian Railway History

David Whiteford

Lots of comments in favour of such ‘fillers’ and add me to the list. When I was a magazine editor I found it great to have something on hand to fill space – you never know when contributions will be insufficient. I have already submitted a WA ‘Trove’ piece for use as a filler. I agree that such items could stimulate research or allow a minor light railway, which may not warrant further research, to be recorded in LR.

David Whiteford