Balls Head

Iain

How do we account for “finger wharfs” (eg Walsh Bay) which are surely either piers or jetties??

Cheers

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Iain_Stuart@...

Tony Smith

While we're being pedantic, the plural of Wharf is Wharves.

And a Jetty can be a Pier, or a Wharf can be a Pier (determined by their construction), but Jetty and Wharf are mutually exclusive (unless they are "L" shaped and lay both parallel and at right angles to the shore!)

And the Woolloomoolloo Finger Wharf was so named because Australian Stevedores are all called Wharfies. They probably would go on strike if someone called them Jetters or Pieries.

On Mon, 29/2/16, 'Iain Stuart' iain_stuart@optusnet.com.au [LRRSA] <LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au> wrote:

Subject: [LRRSA] Balls Head
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au

How do we account for “finger wharfs” (eg Walsh Bay) which are surely either piers or jetties??

 Cheers
Dr Iain Stuart
JCIS Consultants
P.O. Box 2397
Burwood North, NSW, 2134
Australia  (02) 9701019
1Iain_Stuart@optusnet.com.au

Noel Reed

Manly Wharf extends at 90 degrees from the shore and is shown on the destinations of all bus routes in the area.

Regarding ‘Wharfies’, where does ‘Stevedore’ fit in to the discussion ?

Noel Reed.

On Mon, 29/2/16, 'Iain Stuart' iain_stuart@... [LRRSA] wrote:

To: LRRSA@...

How do we account for “finger wharfs” (eg Walsh Bay) which are surely either piers or jetties??

 Cheers
Dr Iain Stuart
JCIS Consultants
P.O. Box 2397
Burwood North, NSW, 2134
Australia  (02) 9701019
1Iain_Stuart@...

No virus found in this message.

Chris Stratton

So the Tee jetty at Wollongong was also a wharf. To be relevant here it did have a rail line on it, connected to the Mt Keira tramway. I'm not sure if it was dual gauge and also connected to the Mt Pleasant tramway.

Regards,
Chris

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au

How do we account for “finger wharfs” (eg Walsh Bay) which are surely either piers or jetties??

Cheers
Dr Iain Stuart
JCIS Consultants
P.O. Box 2397
Burwood North, NSW, 2134
Australia (02) 9701019
1Iain_Stuart@optusnet.com.au

Posted by: <smith_a_b@yahoo.com.au>

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"

Yahoo7 Groups Links