Topics

OFF TOPIC German narrow gauge

Michael C.

Happy New Year!

Greetings from the United Kingdom.

Over Christmas I travelled to Germany via train to visit the metre-gauge Harzer Schmalspurbahnen.

I liked it so much I rode it twice on two separate days. Their articulated 2-10-2 locomotives are amazing. There was also a Mallet locomotive built in 1898 by Arn Jung in steam.

On the second day I caught a train to the top of the Brocken. Sadly there was no snow this year but it was zero degrees C on the top and when you add the wind-chill factor it felt much colder.

I have uploaded a collection of images to Flickr.

Going even further off-topic, pages 3 and 4 of the album show the modern trains (and a tram) used to get to Germany, travel around the Harz, and get back to the UK.

Take a look if you are interested.

Kind regards for 2016.

Michael Chapman

Follow my railway adventures on Flickr at http://tinyurl.com/nlvlnmt
Follow me on Twitter @mikenarrowgauge
Support the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WHHRly

BM

Michael,

Many thanks for sharing these images via the LRRSA Group. I have enjoyed them immensely and I envy your opportunity to experience this wonderful operation first-hand.

Cheers

Bob McKillop

[...]

B.Rumary

On 01/01/2016 13:10, chapmanmchapman@... [LRRSA] wrote:
Their articulated 2-10-2 locomotives are amazing.

Nice photos - however the 2-10-2T locos are NOT articulated!

--
Brian Rumary
England

Michael C.

I beg to differ.

In a message dated 02/01/2016 11:39:19 GMT Standard Time, LRRSA@... writes:

On 01/01/2016 13:10, chapmanmchapman@... [LRRSA] wrote:
Their articulated 2-10-2 locomotives are amazing.

Nice photos - however the 2-10-2T locos are NOT articulated!

--
Brian Rumary
England
brian(at)rumary.co.uk

Frank Stamford

Good morning all,

It depends on what your definition of "articulated" is, I think.

If you consider "articulated" to mean separate frames, as in Garratt, Meyer, Hagans, Fairlie, Mallet etc, then the Harz 2-10-2Ts are not articulated.

If you consider "articulated" to mean not having a rigid wheelbase, then the Harz 2-10-2Ts are articulated, the first and fifth driving axles are allowed some radial movement.

In any case, thanks Michael for posting some very nice pictures of a most interesting railway.

On 2/01/2016 11:44 PM, chapmanmchapman@... [LRRSA] wrote:

I beg to differ.

Michael Chapman

Follow my railway adventures on Flickr at http://tinyurl.com/nlvlnmt
Follow me on Twitter @mikenarrowgauge
Support the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WHHRly

In a message dated 02/01/2016 11:39:19 GMT Standard Time, LRRSA@... writes:

On 01/01/2016 13:10, chapmanmchapman@... [LRRSA] wrote:
Their articulated 2-10-2 locomotives are amazing.

Nice photos - however the 2-10-2T locos are NOT articulated!

--
Brian Rumary
England
brian(at)rumary.co.uk

Geoff Potter <potgeoff@...>

Happy New Year Michael.
I too have enjoyed your fine photographs,
regards
Geoff Potter

On Sunday, 3 January 2016, 8:02, "Frank Stamford frank.stamford@... [LRRSA]" wrote:

[...]

Eddie Oliver

On 3/01/2016 08:02, Frank Stamford frank.stamford@... [LRRSA] wrote:
It depends on what your definition of "articulated" is, I think.
If you consider "articulated" to mean separate frames, as in Garratt, Meyer, Hagans, Fairlie, Mallet etc, then the Harz 2-10-2Ts are not articulated.

That is surely what is normally meant by the term.

If you consider "articulated" to mean not having a rigid wheelbase, then the Harz 2-10-2Ts are articulated, the first and fifth driving axles are allowed some radial movement.

Is that a customary usage? It would never occur to me to use the word with such a meaning.

Origin of articulate

Classical Latin articulatus, past participle of articulare, to separate into joints, utter distinctly

http://www.yourdictionary.com/articulate#gWJ0mqg5cBfOVuAE.99

B.Rumary

On 02/01/2016 12:44, chapmanmchapman@... [LRRSA] wrote:
I beg to differ.

I don't think this can be regarded a true articulation, as found on Mallet or Beyer-Garratt locos. It is more a system to give a bit more flexibility and side-ways movement to the outer coupled axles.

These type of "bogies" (Krauss-Helmholtz, etc.) actually consist of a linkage between the pony-trucks and their adjacent coupled axles to push the driving axles a bit sideways and so ease its passage through sharp curves. They were often used on long-wheelbase, coupled locos in Europe, although I don't think they were much used here or the rest of the "English-speaking" world. The Germans also tried out various types of "flexible-wheelbase" locos, such a Luttermoller and Klein-Lindner, in which the end axles did actually pivot a bit on curves; there was no actual axle-pivoting in the Krauss-Helmholtz system.

There is no actual "hinge" between two groups of coupled wheels, to allow them to take up an angle to each other, as in true articulated locos.

--
Brian Rumary
England

Stefan

[...]

neville conder

Must be the only railway where the conductor checks your ticket and sells alcohol. Needed it when I went to Elsfelder Talmuhle as it was raining and cold and they had the steam heating on and it was early September last year. I thought that section was better than the Brocken but Brocken would look great in the snow. On the trip from Alexisbad to Quedlinburg we had the iconic 2-6-2 pulling the train. A very well run railway. One off the bucket list but would be good to see in the snow.
Neville Conder

[...]

My first visit to the Harz was in 2010 when there was snow...

More images can be seen here:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/55958391@N07/sets/72157644704415275/

Take a look if you're interested.

Cheers,