Rutways and Plateways in Australia

jimlongworth1952

Hi guys

Probably neither form of these light railways was common in Australia. Can anyone nominate any examples, no matter how obscure or short, of either?

Jim Longworth

Tony Coen

Much of the convict tramways in the Tasman Peninsula area of Tas. were plateways – flat wooden wheels running on flanged wooden tracks. The wagons were referred to as carts!

The number and extent of these “rail roads” were quite large and the further I look, the more muddled their history becomes. The lines that I know were of this type were chiefly the Norfolk Bay to Long Bay Line (which carried passengers), track from Port Arthur Wharf to somewhere west of the town and the extensive system (including self-acting haulages) at the Coal Mines near Saltwater River. I’m still working on their research and hope to print something eventually.

Regards,

Tony Coen.

Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 9:20 PM
To: LRRSA@...
Subject: [LRRSA] Rutways and Plateways in Australia

Hi guys

Probably neither form of these light railways was common in Australia. Can anyone nominate any examples, no matter how obscure or short, of either?

Jim Longworth

Iain

There was a plateway in Moorabbin which is etched in my mind as while monitoring works in its vicinity Council accidently uncovered a major gas main which caused some excitement. I have a report on it in my files somewhere.

Iain

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Iain_Stuart@...

Sent: Wednesday, 18 November 2015 9:20 PM

Hi guys

Jim Longworth

Kevin Sewell

There was a very short plate way just a few km from Sydney City. I was the Scout Leader at Longueville Sea Scouts in the 1980's. We had a plate way through the the boat shed and down into the water to launch sailing boats. It was made of steel right angled "rail" and steel flat trolley wheels. While it was a monumental pain in the arse as the wheels were a bit big so it easily jumped the "rails" it was a legacy system that had been there since Noah played scrum-half for South Cairo. It was well outside our ability/resources to replace with a more modern system.
Sadly, the hall burnt down in the late 90's and everything was destroyed, including the boats, the ramp ... and the plate way.

On Thursday, November 19, 2015, 'Iain Stuart' iain_stuart@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

There was a plateway in Moorabbin which is etched in my mind as while monitoring works in its vicinity Council accidently uncovered a major gas main which caused some excitement. I have a report on it in my files somewhere.

Iain

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Iain_Stuart@...

Hi guys

Jim Longworth

--
Cheers,
Kevin

Training is learning the rules: experience is learning the exceptions.

BM

Some material on the Moorabbin plateway appeared in the July 2002 issue of Australian Railway History, with a follow-up in the October 2002 issue by Ian Cutter. Ian provided a further update in the February 2015 ARH with two photos of existent sections of the plateway along Dandenong Road taken on 30 December 2014. He also advises that items relating to the plateway are displayed in Box Cittage in Joyce Park, Ormond.

Bob McKillop

Sent: Thursday, 19 November 2015 7:24 AM
Subject: RE: [LRRSA] Rutways and Plateways in Australia

Iain

Dr Iain Stuart

JCIS Consultants

P.O. Box 2397

Burwood North

NSW 2134

Australia

(02) 97010191

Iain_Stuart@...

Hi guys

Jim Longworth

Michael Brudar

A little information about the Moorabbin area plateway can be found here:-

http://victoriancollections.net.au/items/4f72af3297f83e0308603e6c

Regards

Mike Brudar

Graeme Inglis

And further info from the City of Kingston Historical website:

http://localhistory.kingston.vic.gov.au/htm/article/137.htm

Regards,

Graeme

Sent: Thursday, 19 November 2015 8:53 PM