Christmas Island 79

Brad P

Chaps,
           Here is a photo being used in the next online project.

https://flic.kr/p/awfj4G

  A mental blank has me trying to work out which of the 79 class it would be.

  Can you help?

Brad

--

Stefan

Hello,

you will show photos of the railway on Christmas Island (between Indonesia and Australia)? That's interesting. Do you also have photos of the german V36 (buolt in the late 1930's which has been used there?

Stefan

Am 23.06.2015 um 04:13 schrieb Brad Peadon alcogoodwin@... [LRRSA]:

Chaps,
           Here is a photo being used in the next online project.

https://flic.kr/p/awfj4G

  A mental blank has me trying to work out which of the 79 class it would be.

  Can you help?

Brad

--

Noel Reed

The loco pictured was one of those which went to the phosphate railway at Christmas Island..

The head light and marker lights are different to be those used on the 79’s on the  NSWGR. Knuckle couplers were not used on those in Sydney as most carriages shunted in Sydney Yard were screw coupled.

The 79s used in Sydney also had the sides of the cab roof mitred to conform with the loading gauge.  This would have been a modification after importation from the USA.  Do ARHS archives give any indication of its origin?

Noel Reed.

           Here is a photo being used in the next online project.

https://flic.kr/p/awfj4G

  A mental blank has me trying to work out which of the 79 class it would be.

  Can you help?

Brad

Brad P

Hi Noel,
             Are you saying the one in the shot above is not one of the 79 class?
  I saw a shot of the other type that were delivered and while the lowering of the nose on the 79 class made them look similar, I thought it was to far removed in cab look to be one of the 79 class.
 The loco in this shot does appear to have had its cab corners cut back as per the modification made to the 79s by NSWGR.

  About to finish work for the day. Will try to locate the shot of the other loco heavily buried in bush.

Brad

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 6:33 PM, 'Noel Reed' noelreed10@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

The loco pictured was one of those which went to the phosphate railway at Christmas Island..

The head light and marker lights are different to be those used on the 79’s on the  NSWGR. Knuckle couplers were not used on those in Sydney as most carriages shunted in Sydney Yard were screw coupled.

The 79s used in Sydney also had the sides of the cab roof mitred to conform with the loading gauge.  This would have been a modification after importation from the USA.  Do ARHS archives give any indication of its origin?

Noel Reed.

Brad P

Here is another shot of a loco on Christmas Island

https://flic.kr/p/ohRSuE

He is listing this as a Whitcomb.

Brad

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 7:09 PM, Brad Peadon <alcogoodwin@...> wrote:
[...]

Apologies for the endless emails.
Keep meaning to leave work, but keeping finding additional.

From Wikipedia (so it just has to be correct)

Disposal & preservation[edit]

In October 1974 the two NSWGR units were sold to the British Phosphate Commissionfor use on Christmas Island. In 1979 both were rebuilt by FR Tulk, Perth with CaterpillarD3306 engines and lower profile noses.[6] This railway closed in 1987.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 7:15 PM, Brad Peadon <alcogoodwin@...> wrote:
[...]

If this is the same locomotive at the same location as illustrated in "Shays Crabs and Phosphate" page 124 then it is General Electric 9402 (B/No. 17938 of 1943) in Drumsite yard.

It looks like the same locomotive and same location to me, but from a different angle.

On 23/06/2015 12:13 PM, Brad Peadon alcogoodwin@... [LRRSA] wrote:

Chaps,
           Here is a photo being used in the next online project.

https://flic.kr/p/awfj4G

  A mental blank has me trying to work out which of the 79 class it would be.

  Can you help?

Brad

--

Noel Reed

The 44 ton loco buried in the bush appears to be one from the USA via NSWGR.  The headlight appears the same as the 79 class.  NSWGR type marker lamps were attached outboard of the engine covers. These marker lamps were the type commonly fitted to brake vans and carriages which ran at the rear of trains.

The red and white colours were selected by a rotating knob projecting at the bottom of the marker lamp case.  The loco in the bush has two mounting holes (probably for the marker lamp) which can be seen near the right side of the ladder (which would have been fitted after NSWGR use).  The hand rails at the side of the loco appear different to those on the 79. The front hand rail and ladder appear to be additions.

I never took many pictures of the 79 class locos  as during my photographic years they seemed to be a fixed part of Sydney Yard. I did however take the attached picture of 7920 shunting the 1954 Royal Train at Eveleigh carriage works sidings (commonly known as Elston’s siding after an early works manager  W. Elston).  The two 40 class locos painted blue which hauled the Royal Train can be seen in the distance.

Noel Reed.

Keep meaning to leave work, but keeping finding additional.

From Wikipedia (so it just has to be correct)

[...]

Philip G Graham

This heavily-modified GE 44T is definitely one of the ex NSWGR 79-class. After having been purchased from NSWGR, the unit was shipped to Western Australia for re-building to Christmas Island requirements. As you say, the 44T in NSW had the buffer/drawhook combination and the mounting plates for the buffer housings can still be seen. As well as auto-couplers being fitted the unit was re-engined, and the engine hoods modified. The Mansard roof was as delivered, as GE built from new other 44T and 45T Dropcabs with this restricted clearance feature during WWII.

Photographs of the O&K V36 working on Christmas Island are rare.

-PGG-

John Browning

There were three 44-ton Whitcombs and three 44-ton Canadian Locomotive Works locos on Christmas Island as well as the two 94-class GEs.

If you do not have a copy of David Jehan’s Christmas Island book, you really need to get hold of one.

John

John Browning

Brisbane

Australia

Brad P

Thanks Frank.
Was just sent another shot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bluebec/3240903694/

Number on side would seem to confirm is as 9402.

Regards
Brad

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Frank Stamford frank.stamford@... [LRRSA] <LRRSA@...> wrote:

Brad,

If this is the same locomotive at the same location as illustrated in "Shays Crabs and Phosphate" page 124 then it is General Electric 9402 (B/No. 17938 of 1943) in Drumsite yard.

It looks like the same locomotive and same location to me, but from a different angle.

On 23/06/2015 12:13 PM, Brad Peadon alcogoodwin@... [LRRSA] wrote:

Chaps,
           Here is a photo being used in the next online project.

https://flic.kr/p/awfj4G

  A mental blank has me trying to work out which of the 79 class it would be.

  Can you help?

Brad

--

Brad P

Hi John,
            Your very right. Been going to purchase for ages, obviously I have left to much for to long.

Brad