the SA V class 0-4-4RT

Frank Stamford

On 13/06/2015 3:45 PM, 'Peterson, John J' peterson.john.j@... [LRRSA] wrote:
�

Really interesting Frank; wondering why the idea didn't catch on more. Calthorp developed a whole railway system based on an axle load of 5 tones for India but didn't use this idea for his steam locos.

�

The patent [dated 1882] for Forney's loco is here:

�

http://www.google.com/patents/US266685

�

That is a patent for a different kind of Forney locomotive - a (very strange) type of which I do not know of any built examples. I think the Forney patent for the type of locomotives used on the New York elevated railways dates from 1865 or 1866.

John Peterson

Yes; being able to look at the pictures helps. The description has many of features and rationale of the Forney but seems a weird development of the original when you see the pictures as Frank points out.

Forney's patent is 53406; wasn't able to get anything on line but someone in the US must have or know about the original patent.

Frank, you might be interested in the Finnish picture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0-4-4T

Cheers

John P