Topics

OFF TOPIC - more UK photos on Flickr

Michael C.

Dear all,

I've been uploading more photographs to Flickr.

If you are a fan of strange articulated locomotives, you might enjoy the set from the 15" gauge Kirklees Light Railway.

And for fans of small industrial locos, I have uploaded a set from the WLLR. Not the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway, but the West Lancashire Light Railway - a tiny two foot gauge line.

Take a look if you're interested.

Cheers,

Michael Chapman

Follow the Welsh Highland Heritage Railway on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WHHRly
Follow my railway adventures on Flickr at http://tinyurl.com/nlvlnmt

B.Rumary

On 28/10/2014 02:23, chapmanmchapman@... [LRRSA] wrote:
If you are a fan of strange articulated locomotives, you might enjoy the set from the 15" gauge Kirklees Light Railway.

Very interesting!
However I have a question regarding the black-painted loco OWL. This seems to be a mix of Heisler and Climax articulated types, but what are those grey "doughnuts" fixed to the bottom of the bogie frames, just inboard if the wheels?

--
Brian Rumary
England

Michael C.

It's funny you should mention the 'do-nuts' as when I visited the Kirklees Light Railway I asked the very same question...

Apparently everyone asks the same question too. LOL!

I was told they were for the Leeds Guided Busway...

When pressed, I was informed the do-nuts were part of the springing / suspension arrangements.

http://www.friendsofklr.co.uk/ and click on Owl provides more information on the loco.

Hope this helps.

In a message dated 29/10/2014 13:15:43 GMT Standard Time, LRRSA@... writes:

On 28/10/2014 02:23, chapmanmchapman@... [LRRSA] wrote:
If you are a fan of strange articulated locomotives, you might enjoy the set from the 15" gauge Kirklees Light Railway.

Very interesting!
However I have a question regarding the black-painted loco OWL. This seems to be a mix of Heisler and Climax articulated types, but what are those grey "doughnuts" fixed to the bottom of the bogie frames, just inboard if the wheels?

--
Brian Rumary
England
brian(at)rumary.co.uk

David Axup

Owl is an interesting arrangement.  The modernsteam site shows the set up quite clearly.

Thanks for another interesting set of photos.

Cheers,

David  Axup

[...]

David Halfpenny (Yahoo 1) <tuppenced@...>

It’s hard to tell from a photo, but when I was a railway suspension designer I spent an awful lot at Metalastik of Leicester.

This is from a very old catalogue, but it outlines the principles of bonded rubber/metal spring/dampers very nicely.

David 1/2d

On 29/10/2014 21:14, chapmanmchapman@... [LRRSA] wrote:
When pressed, I was informed the do-nuts were part of the springing / suspension arrangements.

http://www.friendsofklr.co.uk/ and click on Owl provides more information on the loco.

Well the first link doesn't tell me much, but the second does! That page has a close-up of the do'h nuts which shows that they seem to be rubber "springs" that cushion the links coming down from the equaliser bars linking the axle bearings. Quite an unusual way of doing things and something I don't recall having seen before.

--
Brian Rumary
England
brian(at)rumary.co.uk

David Halfpenny (Yahoo 1) <tuppenced@...>

Brian,

The same function as the coils springs in similar positions on this Commonwealth bogie.

David