Sent: Friday, September 26, 2014 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Re:: Newmarket saleyards

G'day All.

I recall that the sidings were a fair way from the saleyards. There was a road with a
dedicated bridge over Smithfield /Racecourse Road where the animals were driven
to the salleyards. I can't find an old map that shows this unfortunately.

I do recall driving under that bridge in heavy rain, the cowshit dribbled through the
decking onto all them cars beneath.

Regards,

Bill

> Hi David,
>
> You're correct, the cattle and sheep sidings where were the supermarket, and also the curved
> block of flats that follows the showgrounds line trains now stand.
>
> The following links fro Mark Bau's excellent VR site will (hopefully) take you to the Newmarket
> track plan. http://www.victorianrailways.net/signaling/completedia/flem1915.html
> http://www.victorianrailways.net/signaling/completedia/flenrc1935.html
>
> There are some photos, I think on the Public Records Office website, that show the unloading of
> animals.
>
> Regards
>
> Ian J

Bill Russell

[...]