Mt Lyell electric locos

John Browning

I am on the lookout for a late photo of 2ft gauge overhead wire electric locomotive number 4 at Mt Lyell.

It was similar to the three English Electrics numbered 1 to 3.

While there are quite a few of it around in its earlier days, I’d like to find one from the 1970s, or of it after its withdrawal.

It was reportedly out the back of the Zeehan Museum in 1997 but has since disappeared. Perhaps someone took a photo of it there?

Thanks

     John

Chris Stratton

I have a photo of one on display at the mine in Queenstown in 1987, I can’t see a number so don’t know which it is.

Regards,

CS

I am on the lookout for a late photo of 2ft gauge overhead wire electric locomotive number 4 at Mt Lyell.

It was similar to the three English Electrics numbered 1 to 3.

While there are quite a few of it around in its earlier days, I’d like to find one from the 1970s, or of it after its withdrawal.

It was reportedly out the back of the Zeehan Museum in 1997 but has since disappeared. Perhaps someone took a photo of it there?

Thanks

     John

Scott Clennett

Hello John,
The two photos attached may help, but I can't identify any number on either. Nor can I identify the source of either, other than that were buried in my general collection.
The colour one is of the loco on display outside the old mine offices in Queenstown, and I had another photo of it that I took many years ago, but can't find now.
I was in Queenstown last week, and I think I caught it out of the corner of my eye when driving past it in a hurry in the rain on the Wednesday.
Cheers
Scott Clennett

I am on the lookout for a late photo of 2ft gauge overhead wire electric locomotive number 4 at Mt Lyell.

It was similar to the three English Electrics numbered 1 to 3.

While there are quite a few of it around in its earlier days, I’d like to find one from the 1970s, or of it after its withdrawal.

It was reportedly out the back of the Zeehan Museum in 1997 but has since disappeared. Perhaps someone took a photo of it there?

Thanks

     John

John Browning

Thank you Scott.

Your colour photo is indeed the one that is by the side of the Highway as you come in to Queenstown from the north.

I believe this location is near the old mine offices, and it used to be referred to as the ‘Mount Lyell Museum’.

Your B&W image I had not seen before so many thanks for that one.

     John

Anthony Coen <ajcoen@...>

John, I have a photo. of it at Zeehan somewhere stashed away. I’ll see what I can do.

Cheers,

            Tony.