 The Arthur River has variously been known as the Whyte River or Magnet Creek from what I gather, but these days is known as the Arthur River all the way to Magnet.
 There were a number of bridges over the Arthur, the one in the town area was a footbridge-the abutments are still obvious next to the little stamper battery, and the rail bridge still more-or-less standing is further east, just before the line climbs through the rainforest section.
-Mark

On 24/04/2013 12:36 PM, Sam Laybutt wrote:
Thanks Mark. Is the old bridge over Arthur River located at the town site? or further east?

I've got the 1:25 000 Tasmap series topos for that area (not sure of the map name as I don't have it on me right now). It shows the route of the line as a track and also shows the 'Proclaimed Town of Magnet'. No other useful features as far as I can see unfortunately.

To: LRRSA@...
From: trainbrain@...
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:07:20 +1000
Subject: Re: [LRRSA] Magnet Town film and adventure

Hi all,
 As Tony said, the narrator was referring to the mine tunnel or adit. Part of the switchback is now washed away, and it was very steep!
 The mine is south west of the town site. Unfortunately Google Earth shows a nuisance cloud cover over the area. If you plug  41°26'24.16"S 145°27'5.27"E into Google Earth you will see where the town area was, the mine is approximately at  41°26'38.60"S 145°26'52.29"E.

Which topo maps do you have? Mine are next to useless...
Cheers,
 Mark

Rod Hutchinson

Hi Mark,

That is a fascinating movie. I watched it on the train coming home tonight.  I observe that timber fences and houses are in good condition, not that run down look often favoured by modelers.

The images of the Mallett coming round the curves is fantastic.  Pass on my thanks to Mark F.

Rod H

On Apr 23, 2013 5:30 PM, "Mark Kendrick" <trainbrain@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Mark Fry was kind enough to pass on a copy of this film to me at the
Aus Narrow Gauge Convention over Easter, and I have since found it has
already been uploaded to Youtube:
http://youtu.be/ADYFY6xisAY

I spent a couple of days towards the middle of March exploring Magnet
and drove whilst videoing the track bed from Waratah to the mine, not
really a viable track to drive unless you don't mind scratching your 4WD
due to overgrowth.
Gee that track is dark and dank until it levels with the Arthur River.
Historic photos show the hillsides bare of trees, the regrowth has
closed in successfully, so it is hard to pick out locations where photos
of the train was taken.
The valley where the mine and town was is thoroughly revegetated
predominately with Celery Top Pine too.
There are still some fantastic remains at the mine site, uprights from
the concentrating shed, brick foundations from the crusher, concrete
foundations from the hydro powerhouse and auxilliary power plant, a
small stamp mill below the town area, the main adit and the later lower
level trial adit, a pair of boots by the site of a workman's hut,
bottles and bricks at the site of the shops, footbridge abutments,
embankments, the enormous overburden/spoil banks that dominate
everything, rusty mine skips, a vertical boiler and lengths of rail 'up
the gully'. There is still most of a bridge over the Arthur River and of
course most of the earthworks are still more or less intact. I took
around 20 gig of digital media of the line and mine site! I can upload
to photobucket a selection of photos if anyone is interested. A photo of
my camp with the concentrating mill in the background can be seen here:
http://s418.photobucket.com/user/Burra2a/media/On-The-Road/20130320_092439a_zpsb2eb5c28.jpg.html

Now I have grandiose plans to model the Magnet Tram and mine/town far
more accurately than I had previously intended.
Regards,
Mark K
who was going to rejoin the LRRSA at the ANGC but there wasn't a stand :(

halfpilotstaff

Thanks Mark for posting this, most fascinating. Puts me in mind of long-gone mining places like Glen Davis, Newnes and Joadja.

I have taken the liberty of posting the YouTube link on Railpage etc. in the Railway Archaeology forums. I'm sure you'd agree that that little film well deserves to get to a wider & appreciative audience.

Cheerz

Alec Piggott

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Mark Kendrick <trainbrain@...> wrote:

[...]

Sam Laybutt

To: LRRSA@...
From: trainbrain@...
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:07:20 +1000

Hi all,
 As Tony said, the narrator was referring to the mine tunnel or adit. Part of the switchback is now washed away, and it was very steep!
 The mine is south west of the town site. Unfortunately Google Earth shows a nuisance cloud cover over the area. If you plug  41°26'24.16"S 145°27'5.27"E into Google Earth you will see where the town area was, the mine is approximately at  41°26'38.60"S 145°26'52.29"E.

Which topo maps do you have? Mine are next to useless...
Cheers,
 Mark

Mark Trainbrain

Hi all,
�As Tony said, the narrator was referring to the mine tunnel or adit. Part of the switchback is now washed away, and it was very steep!
�The mine is south west of the town site. Unfortunately Google Earth shows a nuisance cloud cover over the area. If you plug� 41�26'24.16"S 145�27'5.27"E into Google Earth you will see where the town area was, the mine is approximately at� 41�26'38.60"S 145�26'52.29"E.

Which topo maps do you have? Mine are next to useless...
Cheers,
�Mark

On 24/04/2013 12:40 AM, Sam Laybutt wrote:
Brilliant - thanks Mark! Really does give you a sense of the place. Such remote and beautifully atmospheric country.�

In the youtube via you linked to, the narrator mentions a railway tunnel a few times. Where along the line was this?

Also, was the mine located to the west of the town? The old townsite is easy enough to find on the topo maps but the mine ruins are not marked.�

To: LRRSA@...
From: trainbrain@...
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 23:28:00 +1000

�
Hi Sam, all,
�I have uploaded a small selection to this photobucket folder:
http://s418.photobucket.com/user/Burra2a/library/Magnet
The photos have brief captions.
The videos are too big to upload and I don't have any editing software to remove the boring commentary anyway.
Cheers,
�Mark K

On 23/04/2013 6:09 PM, Sam Laybutt wrote:
I am most definitely interested in seeing a selection of your images, Mark! :)

Keen to watch that youtube vid when I get home from work too...

Sam

To: LRRSA@...
From: trainbrain@...
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:29:38 +1000
Subject: [LRRSA] Magnet Town film and adventure

�
[...]

Anthony Coen <ajcoen@...>

The tunnel referred to is the mine adit. At the end of the line, a trailing siding ran up and around the side of the hill to the mine, which was located on the western end of the town. The formation is very good to drive along and Magnet is a great place to camp!

Cheers,

            Tony Coen.

To: LRRSA@...

From: trainbrain@...
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 17:29:38 +1000

[...]

rthorne475

For a detailed map see page 173 of Lou Rae's 'A History Of Railways And Tramways On Tasmania's West Coast' 2nd Edition (self-published 1984).

Richard Horne

To: LRRSA@...