Mainbeach Burleigh Tramway

Petan

Those who read John Browning's "The Southport-Burleigh road construction tramway",may be interested in 3 Sept 1938 maps of the area from Southport to Broadbeach. It shows the Pacific Highway route as it was in that era which may be possibly close to the original route that was constructed with the tramway.

Try the following and click through them as desired. http://s311.beta.photobucket.com/user/petanoz/library/Tramways

I found these in the Southport Local Studies Library so used my camera phone to take a few snaps. The Southport one had the date so I included it. Also notice the British Commonwealth cable is marked. More on the British Commonwealth cable http://www.yourbrisbanepastandpresent.com/2010/05/cable-park-southport.html

John's article is in Light Railways,issue 213 June 2010.This is available for purchase as a downloadable PDF from http://www.lrrsa.org.au/index.html

Cheers
Peter Cokley

Petan

Replaced the phone camera snaps with a single photocopy of the whole map. Much easier to understand.

Cheers
Peter Cokley

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Peter" <yahoomail@...> wrote:

[...]

Last time I mentioned this Southport Burleigh Heads tramway I supplied a 1938 map to show the route of the road built in the mid-1920s with the aid of a tramway, including a steam locomotive.

I now have a 1929 map which would be more accurate as it is closer to the construction period, as well as a 1917 map, to show the before and after situation. Links provided below.

This 2 ft / 610 mm gauge tramway hauled quarried rock from Harper's Wharf for the building of the first road from the 1925 built Jubilee Bridge at Main Beach to Burleigh Heads via Elston, renamed Surfers Paradise in 1933.

Harper's Wharf was located near the junction of the Nerang River and Little Tallebudgera Creek in Broadbeach, marked as R57 on both the 1929 and 1917 maps. Harper's name is on his property which adjoins the wharf reserve on the southern side on the 1917 map but that was changed to a new owner on the 1929 map. Harper died 1896 and was buried in what later became the Cascades Gardens picnic area on Little Tallebudgera Creek.

A comparison of the 1917 and 1929 maps will show road changes, some of which were due to the Southport Burleigh tramway. It also will show the changes to the Southport Spit in that period.

All this material is just in time for any railway historians who may visit the Gold Coast over Easter.

The 1929 map, shows the route of the 1920s Southport Burleigh main road and therefore the route of the construction tramway https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwRzBxRHduX0xKOGc/edit

The 1917 map, shows the roads before the building of the 1920s Southport Burleigh main road https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwakJMWC1ZVTRwVzA/edit

Benowa Central Sugar Mill tramway from the 1917 map, which shows its proximity to the Burleigh Southport tramway https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwdzltUm0wcWNjcGc/edit

Any pencil marks were on the map before it was sealed in plastic years ago in the QSA.

Cheers
Peter Cokley

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Peter" <yahoomail@> wrote:
Those who read John Browning's "The Southport-Burleigh road construction tramway",may be interested in 3 Sept 1938 maps of the area from Southport to Broadbeach. It shows the Pacific Highway route as it was in that era which may be possibly close to the original route that was constructed with the tramway.

John's article is in Light Railways,issue 213 June 2010.This is available for purchase as a downloadable PDF from http://www.lrrsa.org.au/index.html

Cheers
Peter Cokley

Petan

The originals of the South Coast maps I am using arrived at around 66 MB in size and I have dropped them down to less then 3 MB using photoshop. The three I used for the extracts yesterday were from a mixed group with one extracted from the 66 MB version and the others from the 3MB version. A good eye can tell the difference. If someone needs a version of a high quality, they had better contact me privately so I use the better version.

Cheers
Peter Cokley

Petan

The Mainbeach Burleigh Heads road construction tramway was about 90 years ago. The new Gold Coast tramway route will cross and use part of the original route, although with very different technology.

A sample of the new technology was observed in action today as tramway rails for the new Gold Coast passenger tram [aka Light Rail Project] were unloaded along the Gold Coast Highway, St Kilda Ave traffic light intersection, Cascade Gardens, Broadbeach QLD 12 April 2013.

The plastic encasing the rail base and sides can be seen by zooming in close in the following downloadable image from https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByB-ppGeDyvwaXl6dDhsNjZucjg/edit?ups=drive_web

Semi had an oversize sign with what seemed to be an extended length trailer.

Cheers
Peter Cokley