“Light Railways” Editor

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@...>

On 24/03/2013 20:51, gould_scott wrote:
Hello Eddie, Frank & Everyone else,

As one of the new sub editors, I can confirm Frank is absolutely correct in what he is saying. We work to a common style guide, but each of us is responsible for compiling and proofing our own sections, before submitting them for the editor to finalize the layout.
As Frank has pointed out, the layout won't be the responsibility of the new editor, but will be left to experts to keep the magazine looking as it does today.
Received articles are stored on a central point so we can all assist with proofing and adjusting to fit the style guide, and discussing with the author any issues that may arise.There are subject matter experts available to help with clarifying details, and are a great help. The final proofs are sent out to the whole team for checking, before being sent off to the printers. It's a team effort and seems to work well, hopefully we can continue to build on what we already do.

Scott, that's very encouraging. So it seems to me that the term 'editor' for the new position is a bit of a misnomer; it is more like 'chairperson/co-ordinator of the editorial group' or similar. The title won't matter production-wise, but it may affect someone's willingness to take on the role.

Sam Laybutt

Whilst I can't offer my time to assist, I would like to stress the importance of continuing this publication for the benefit of future generations, and thank those who do donate their time to keep the magazine going.

The extra checks and balances that go into articles in Light Railways generally mean they are more accurate - proof reading not only picking up typos and minor errors but also reviews by other experts in the field means that (unintentional) errors or misleading details are picked up. The nature of a magazine edition means that it is more permanent than, for example, a post on a railway discussion list or on a personal website. I'm always extremely grateful for the effort people put into not only researching but sharing the information with others and it's only fitting that their work should be published in something that will ensure that knowledge is shared to the next generation of rail historians.

Cheers
Sam

gould_scott <sncs@...>

[...]

Regards,

Scott

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Frank Stamford <frank.stamford@...> wrote:

On 24/03/2013 11:06 AM, Eddie Oliver wrote:
As a result the LRRSA Council has decided to change the responsibilties of the editing position so that the editor will not be responsible for preparing the layout of the magazine. This task requires special skills.
Excellent decision. Perhaps you need to go even further in giving
autonomy to the section editors.
To all intents and purposes, I believe that is already the case, and has
been since the new "Light Railways" was launched with issue No.139. It
cannot be 100% autonomy as there has to be agreement on things such as
presentation, and space allocation. I do not think the section editors
would want 100% autonomy, as the collaborative process is a help rather
than a hindrance.

On 24/03/2013 11:06 AM, Eddie Oliver wrote:
As a result the LRRSA Council has decided to change the responsibilties of the editing position so that the editor will not be responsible for preparing the layout of the magazine. This task requires special skills.
Excellent decision. Perhaps you need to go even further in giving
autonomy to the section editors.
To all intents and purposes, I believe that is already the case, and has been since the new "Light Railways" was launched with issue No.139. It cannot be 100% autonomy as there has to be agreement on things such as presentation, and space allocation. I do not think the section editors would want 100% autonomy, as the collaborative process is a help rather than a hindrance.

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@...>

On 24/03/2013 10:55, Frank wrote:
There has been no response. (Maybe our members are telling us that "Light Railways" has had its day and it should go the way of the horse-drawn zeppelin?)
They are more likely telling you that the concept of an all-encompassing editor has gone that way.

As a result the LRRSA Council has decided to change the responsibilties of the editing position so that the editor will not be responsible for preparing the layout of the magazine. This task requires special skills.
Excellent decision. Perhaps you need to go even further in giving autonomy to the section editors.

Frank Stamford

Hello Peter,

There has been no response. (Maybe our members are telling us that "Light Railways" has had its day and it should go the way of the horse-drawn zeppelin?)

As a result the LRRSA Council has decided to change the responsibilties of the editing position so that the editor will not be responsible for preparing the layout of the magazine. This task requires special skills.

There will be another flyer going out to our members with the April issue of "Light Railways".

However members of this Yahoo Group can have a preview of the leaflet, as I am about to put a copy in the "Files" section under the title "Light Railways editor.pdf".

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Peter" <yahoomail@...> wrote:

Any news yet?

Cheers
Peter Cokley

Petan

Any news yet?

Cheers
Peter Cokley

Frank Stamford

All Australian LRRSA members will have received a letter in the mail advising that our editor of "Light Railways" Bruce Belbin has advised his intention to relinquish that role later this year. Bruce has held this position for 15 years, and was responsible for the complete redesign of the magazine in February 1998, a change which quadrupled the magazine's circulation and revitalised the LRRSA.

That letter sought expressions of interest from people interested in taking on the role of editor. We asked for responses by 6 March, so the purpose of this message is to remind members of that deadline which is one day before our March committee meeting when the LRRSA Council will be discussing the future of "Light Railways" magazine.

It is possible the nature of the editorial task as outlined in the letter may have seemed too daunting. But this is not necessarily so. Modern computer software and communications make it possible to spread the load effectively amongst a team of people, and the software effectively takes control of much of the layout process.

If you have any interest in being involved in the "Light Railways" editorial process it would be helpful if you could respond by email directly to me, or if you wish call me on 03 5968 2484 to discuss the possibilities. Once we know who is interested in being involved, and the skills they bring to the team, we should be able to design a process which provides a satisfying experience for each person in the team.

We did not send the letter to our overseas members because of the high cost of postage, but location is no barrier to membership of the "Light Railways" team, provided you have a reasonable internet connection.

By the way, finding content to fill "Light Railways" is rarely a problem. There is usually plenty of material available, though some states are not as well represented as they should be.

Frank Stamford
Publications Officer LRRSA