Tramways of the Mornington Peninsula


silvansau
 

Hi all,
I have been a member of the LRRA since 1962 and I still have all copies of "Light Railways". I have tried for a couple of years to join this group and I gave up but when this subject popped up the last edition I persevered and here I am.
Dromana had a tramway where Latrobe Parade is at the top end it runs into the walking track to Arthurs Seat where a short way up is where the gravel was quarried and a tramway constructed down hill to Anthony`s Nose and that old quarry is still there. The gravel was railed down hill and tipped into the drays below. A Mr Alnutt was the contractor and had the contract for the road towards Sorrento.
I think he later was a Councillor in one of the local Shires.
There is a lot to add to Stony Creek and Shoreham but I will save that for another message.
Cheers,
Keith H.


Phil <chy_gwel_an_meneth@...>
 

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "keith" wrote:

Hi all,
Dromana had a tramway where Latrobe Parade is at the top end it runs
into the walking track to
Arthurs Seat where a short way up is where the gravel was quarried and
a tramway constructed down hill to Anthony`s Nose and that old quarry is
still there. The gravel was railed down hill and tipped into the drays
below. A Mr Alnutt was the contractor and had the contract for the road
towards Sorrento.
Cheers, Keith H.

Many thanks for your info Keith,

It ties in with an advert I had previously noted in The Argus, 26 Feb
1924, relating to the sale of 70 chains of rails, plus trucks and
quarry equipment by a G.T.Allnutt of Dromana. (copy attached, I hope! -
if it drops off you can find it at nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1905585
<http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1905585> in the 8th column)



Also looking forward to anything you may know of tramways over Shoreham
way.

cheers Phil Rickard


silvansau
 

Hi all,
A few years ago I researched the Shoreham Pier and it was built in 1870. I have a couple of photo`s of it but there is no sign of a tramway.
A couple of years ago at the Flinders and District Annual Meeting a local gave a talk on the early days of Shoreham and circa 1860 there was a tramway on an early map with a mill on Stony Creek and jetty.
Stony Creek right up to Red Hill South had never been milled but my uncle told me that all the valley there was tree stumps. So all the timber was dragged down to Shoreham.
Henry Tuck the early settler in the next valley Mantons Creek wrote a poem and part of it is....
At Stony Creek long years ago
When bullocks held the sway
When land was little worth
Without a team or dray
It was a wondrous sight to see
When twenty teams and fifty men
When Sleepers drew and sleepers hewed
For Sandridge Railway then.
From The Men Who Blazed Th Track......
....He believed they were the first sleeper cutters for the
old Hobsons Bay Railway, and for Geelong.
The main timber from the Arthurs Seat Range was Messmate (Euc Obliqua).
The timber out of very old buildings the nails would break off when trying to extract them.
Now there was quite a few saw mills and if there is any enthuasom I will plot where they all were on a map.
Cheers,
Keith H.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Phil" wrote:


--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "keith" wrote:

Hi all,
Dromana had a tramway where Latrobe Parade is at the top end it runs
into the walking track to
Arthurs Seat where a short way up is where the gravel was quarried and
a tramway constructed down hill to Anthony`s Nose and that old quarry is
still there. The gravel was railed down hill and tipped into the drays
below. A Mr Alnutt was the contractor and had the contract for the road
towards Sorrento.
Cheers, Keith H.

Many thanks for your info Keith,

It ties in with an advert I had previously noted in The Argus, 26 Feb
1924, relating to the sale of 70 chains of rails, plus trucks and
quarry equipment by a G.T.Allnutt of Dromana. (copy attached, I hope! -
if it drops off you can find it at nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1905585
in the 8th column)



Also looking forward to anything you may know of tramways over Shoreham
way.

cheers Phil Rickard


John Cleverdon <johnc@...>
 

My father dug out a copy of a Broadbents guide to the Mornington Peninsula from around the 1960's.
It shows a quarry on Latrobe Parade above Anthony's Nose. As well, the current Bunurong Track (the 'back route' between Dromana and McCrae) is labelled as 'Quarry Road'.

Keith, I assume the walking track you are referring to is Two Bays Track? (I haven't wandered along it for a couple of years or more).

Regards,
John
--
John Cleverdon
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria


silvansau
 

Hi John,
That walking track would be the Two Bays and is at the western end of Bunurong track. My old Broadbents I left with the Historical Society so will have a look when next there.
Cheers,
Keith.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, John Cleverdon <johnc@...> wrote:

My father dug out a copy of a Broadbents guide to the Mornington
Peninsula from around the 1960's.
It shows a quarry on Latrobe Parade above Anthony's Nose. As well, the
current Bunurong Track (the 'back route' between Dromana and McCrae) is
labelled as 'Quarry Road'.

Keith, I assume the walking track you are referring to is Two Bays
Track? (I haven't wandered along it for a couple of years or more).

Regards,
John
--
John Cleverdon, B John Cleverdon
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria


Michael Milway
 

Dear all,
I have only just read my copy of LR 229 (Feb 2013).

I was very pleased to note that my enquiries about tramways on/of the Mornington Peninsula had made it into the reasearch section of the magazine.

I would like to offer my thanks to everyone who participated in the discussions and for turning my initial questions into a worthwhile addition to LR.

Regards,
Michael Milway.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "keith" <sherlock@...> wrote:

Hi John,
That walking track would be the Two Bays and is at the western end of Bunurong track. My old Broadbents I left with the Historical Society so will have a look when next there.
Cheers,
Keith.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, John Cleverdon <johnc@> wrote:

My father dug out a copy of a Broadbents guide to the Mornington
Peninsula from around the 1960's.
It shows a quarry on Latrobe Parade above Anthony's Nose. As well, the
current Bunurong Track (the 'back route' between Dromana and McCrae) is
labelled as 'Quarry Road'.

Keith, I assume the walking track you are referring to is Two Bays
Track? (I haven't wandered along it for a couple of years or more).

Regards,
John
--
John Cleverdon, B John Cleverdon
Mornington Peninsula, Victoria