Industrial railways in Iceland

Frank Stamford

Hello all,

For those interested in the quirky and unusual, the following website:

http://bentsbane.dk/jernbaner-pa-island/

has a complete listing of all known industrial railways in Iceland.

It includes quite a number of photographs of railways both in operation, and derelict. There is also a photograph of a well preserved narrow gauge steam locomotive.

The descriptive text seems to be carefully researched, but the website is in Danish. If you use the Google Chrome browser it will attempt to translate it into English, but unfortunately only does a fair job in this case.

During World War II Iceland was occupied by Britain, and the website includes some details of railways built by the British during that time.

Roderick Smith

IIRC we haved had a thread on the preserved one before, when it appeared on a postage stamp. It is on the harbourfront.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

http://bentsbane.dk/jernbaner-pa-island has a complete listing of all known industrial railways in Iceland...photograph of a well preserved narrow gauge steam locomotive...Frank

Phixer

During World War II Iceland was occupied by Britain, and the website
includes some details of railways built by the British during that
time.

And there was me thinking that only the Germans and Japanese were the
occupying forces in World War 2.

David Axup

G’day DFrank,

The Brits actually “garrisoned” Iceland with the civil administration of Iceland still the sovereign power.  They were not an “occupying force” in the sense of the Axis Powers invading other countries – and you left Italy out of your “occupiers”.  And don’t forget that on the cessation of hostilities in both Europe and the Pacific the Brits and US did occupy Germany and Japan as did Australia in Japan.

Pedantic to be sure but couldn’t help myself.

Cheers,

David

> During World War II Iceland was occupied by Britain, and the website
> includes some details of railways built by the British during that
> time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

And there was me thinking that only the Germans and Japanese were the
occupying forces in World War 2.

Rod Hutchinson

And New Zealand invaded Samoa, ousting the Germans in WW1.  And there was a military railway in Samoa during WW2, I think.

BTW Frank I found  a historic railway in Palau.

Rod Hutch currently in Singapore.

On Feb 13, 2013 8:21 PM, "David R Axup" <daxup@...> wrote:

G’day DFrank,

The Brits actually “garrisoned” Iceland with the civil administration of Iceland still the sovereign power.  They were not an “occupying force” in the sense of the Axis Powers invading other countries – and you left Italy out of your “occupiers”.  And don’t forget that on the cessation of hostilities in both Europe and the Pacific the Brits and US did occupy Germany and Japan as did Australia in Japan.

Pedantic to be sure but couldn’t help myself.

Cheers,

David

> During World War II Iceland was occupied by Britain, and the website
> includes some details of railways built by the British during that
> time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

And there was me thinking that only the Germans and Japanese were the
occupying forces in World War 2.

Stephen Percy Larcombe

I see that you are to quote "Rod Hutch currently in Singapore"

Is there any steam on rails hidden away in singapore?

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@...

> During World War II Iceland was occupied by Britain, and the website
> includes some details of railways built by the British during that
> time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

And there was me thinking that only the Germans and Japanese were the
occupying forces in World War 2.

Rod Hutchinson

I am afraid I am in transit.  I flew from Manila to Singapore today after a week on Palau.  I have sighted an old railway line in Palau which I'll write up as a 'field report' and I did have ride on a monorail in Palau which can fall under LRRSA as an 'industrial' monorail. I guess I can write that up as a field report as well.

Rod waiting for QF10 to Melbourne.

To: LRRSA@...

> During World War II Iceland was occupied by Britain, and the website
> includes some details of railways built by the British during that
> time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

And there was me thinking that only the Germans and Japanese were the
occupying forces in World War 2.

Frank Savery

Just as an aside. It always seemed to me that the Germans made a seriouis error of judgement in not invading Iceland  when they  attacked Denmark and Norway. Not up to their usual Teutonic efficiency. From memory Iceland didn't and hasn't any armed forces so it wouldn't have taken much.
Cheers,
Frank Savery,
District Manager, CIE Cildargan Section
also Owner, Operator, Chief Cook & Bottle Washer,
Lakes District Portage Railway
and King Island Tramway, Tasmania
On 13/02/2013 8:19 PM, David R Axup wrote:

G’day DFrank,

The Brits actually “garrisoned” Iceland with the civil administration of Iceland still the sovereign power.  They were not an “occupying force” in the sense of the Axis Powers invading other countries – and you left Italy out of your “occupiers”.  And don’t forget that on the cessation of hostilities in both Europe and the Pacific the Brits and US did occupy Germany and Japan as did Australia in Japan.

Pedantic to be sure but couldn’t help myself.

Cheers,

David

> During World War II Iceland was occupied by Britain, and the website
> includes some details of railways built by the British during that
> time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

And there was me thinking that only the Germans and Japanese were the
occupying forces in World War 2.

Stephen Percy Larcombe

But perhaps they realised that they did not have the sea power to keep their occupying forces supplied?

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@...

> During World War II Iceland was occupied by Britain, and the website
> includes some details of railways built by the British during that
> time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

And there was me thinking that only the Germans and Japanese were the
occupying forces in World War 2.

Stephen Percy Larcombe

If you ever get a chance head out to Harbour Front Tower Two bus stop 14461

And the only piece of steam machinery I could find in that place. It was still earning a living up until the early 80s

You can get a good over all view of it from the cable car that runs through the tower building next to it. I do have a few more details photos of it if any one is more interested.

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@...

> During World War II Iceland was occupied by Britain, and the website
> includes some details of railways built by the British during that
> time.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frank

And there was me thinking that only the Germans and Japanese were the
occupying forces in World War 2.

B.Rumary

On 13/02/2013 07:50, Phixer wrote:
And there was me thinking that only the Germans and Japanese were the
occupying forces in World War 2.
I think that Iceland was still a Danish dependency at that time, although it got its independence after WW2.

The British, US and Soviets also jointly occupied Iran in WW2, after we deposed their ruler Rezza Shah (father of the last Shah), as we didn't think he "was anti-German enough". We then used the country as a route to send aid to the Soviets. One of the (many) reasons why the Iranians now hate our guts.

We also invaded various territories belong to Vichy France, such as Syria, Madagascar, Algeria, Morocco & Tunisia, plus chucking the Italians out of their colonies of Libya, Ethiopia and Eritrea.

--
Brian Rumary
England

dickwho1

Don’t forget down our way Brian – New Caledonia.

This was occupied by the Australians, only for a very short time and in minimal numbers until the U.S. Army/Navy turned up.  After the fall of France Churchill et. al, were concerned that French Colonies in the Pacific may go ‘Vichy’.  However, sanity prevailed and they didn’t.

The Iranians may hate our guts, but in return they got a fully operational railway.

Dick

Broken Hill

Kevin Sewell

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Richard Holland <dickwho1@...> wrote:
The Iranians may hate our guts, but in return they got a fully operational railway.

Dick

Broken Hill

I'm not convinced the Iranians appreciate that they got the better side of that deal!!!! :-)

Kevin

I'm giving up spell-check for lint.