From: A C Lynn Zelmer <lynn@...>
To: LRRSA@...
Sent: Monday, 6 February 2012, 21:36
Subject: [LRRSA] Portable Track Research Update

Thanks to everyone who provided responses to my recent request for
information on late 18th and early 19th century users of portable track.
I'm still looking for specifics... especially which manufacturer
supplied which mill, etc.... but am getting closer.

Best wishes,
Lynn

--
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414 Main Post Office

bll_hnks

The First Fleet arrived at Sydney Cove in 1788. The has never been any mention of portable track in any of the ship manifests that I’ve heard of and never any mention of a ‘light railway’ so early, from the time of white settlement.

Bill Hanks

Late 18th Century portable track? Was this brought out with the First Fleet?

Richard Horne

________________________________
Thanks to everyone who provided responses to my recent request for
information on late 18th and early 19th century users of portable track.
I'm still looking for specifics... especially which manufacturer
supplied which mill, etc.... but am getting closer.

Best wishes,
Lynn

--
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414 Main Post Office
Rockhampton, QLD 4700 AUSTRALIA

A C Lynn Zelmer

No, simply a low energy day with 36 degree C temperatures and too long in front of the computer.
:-)
Lynn

On 7/02/12 8:30 AM, richard horne wrote:
Late 18th Century portable track? Was this brought out with the First Fleet?

Richard Horne

________________________________
Thanks to everyone who provided responses to my recent request for
information on late 18th and early 19th century users of portable track.
I'm still looking for specifics... especially which manufacturer
supplied which mill, etc.... but am getting closer.

Best wishes,
Lynn

--
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414 Main Post Office
Rockhampton, QLD 4700 AUSTRALIA

Stefan

Hello,

can we swap over? I can offer you -15°C here in Germany...

By the way, the most important supplier for tracks, also portable
tracks, portable turnouts (Kletterweichen) in Java, Indonesia, during
the dutch colonial times was Orenstein&Koppel (O&K), followed by
Ducroo&Brauns and Werkspoor. Also Decauville was a part of the business.
Their name can be found often in old dutch javanese maps beside the
permanent plantation railway tracks.

Stefan

Am 07.02.2012 05:49, schrieb A C Lynn Zelmer:

[...]

Thanks for the details, Stefan.

As for the weather, we moved here (Australia) so my wife could escape Canadian winters. Thankfully, and totally by luck, we moved to an area which has avoided most of the worst effects of Queensland's recent cyclones and floods. Mind you, we had ten years of drought but at least Rockhampton has a pretty well guaranteed water supply (and 2' gauge cane railways only a few hours driving time north and south).

Best wishes, Lynn