Fyansford Cement Works Bucyrus steam shovel

rthorne475

In the 1960s, beside the line to the old quarry, there was stored out of use a large rail mounted Bucyrus steam shovel. It was carried on two diamond frame bogies and the chilled cast iron wheels (manufactured by tthe Griffith Wheel Co., Chicago) were variously dated 1900 and 1902. At the time, I assumed that this had come from the Wallaroo & Moonta Mines, in South Australia, along with the Hudswell Clarke 0-4-2STs, nos. 5 to 9, in 1924. However, now I have a photo of the steam shovel used at Moonta, I can see that it was not the same machine. I have since read somewhere, that the Fyansford shovel came from the Mt Morgan Mines in Queensland and was standard gauge. I failed to measure the gauge of the shovel at Fyansford and would be grateful if any member can advise if it was standard gauge and, more importantly, supply details of its history.

Richard Horne

Stephen Percy Larcombe

There is a book "Bucyrus Making the Earth Move for 125 Years" that has a picture of this shovel working at Mount Morgan.

It apparently left Mount Morgan and dug a railway line in Queensland some where.

It was then aquired by the Cement Works at Fyansford.

It has had a different roof on it in early photos at the cement works compared to the roof that it had at Mount Morgan, and the roof it has now is also different.
The cement works fitted it with a new boiler (or at least another boiler), the original boiler is some where in a overburden heap.
It was last used as a crane in the 1960's to assemble the new diesel shovels, but at this time it was run on compressed air, as the boiler had developed a crack in the firebox.
The bucket and dipper were removed at this time, and unfortunately the both got scrapped along with all he spare rail that belongs with it.

This shovel is a little bit different to most of the Rail Mounted shovel in that there is a 19 foot wide rigid beam running cross ways behind the front bogie to support the side outriger jacks. Most other examples had swinging outriggers that would fold out of the way for transport.

The front screw down jack, in front of the front bogie that screwed down onto the sleepers between the tracks had gone missing at some stage (probably stolen for the bronze), so the bolts on the other jacks we welded to prevent removal.

Some details are:
for operating needed
1 driver on slew
1 driver on crowd
1 Fireman
4 on ground
last used on steam in 1951
last used on compressed air in 1966
Can lift 20 ton
67 ton working weight
Dipper stick was wood sheathed with steel
bucket weighed about 3 ton

there was also a team of men with crowbars to bar the track closer to the working face as the shovel moved back and forth.

The shovel is standard gauge (4' 8 1/2")

It has recently been rescured by Lake Goldsmith Steam Preservation Society, and was partly dismantled and moved there last year.
Apparently the have had one of the steam engine on the shovel working recently.

The Steam Shovel Register website list this shovel as:
1903 vintage Bucyrus model 65C rail mounted non-rotating steam shovel.
But I am not sure where they got the information and model from.

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:51:25 +0000
Subject: [LRRSA] Fyansford Cement Works Bucyrus steam shovel

[...]

Jeff Mullier

Richard,

I suspect that this shovel has been preserved & is now at Lake Goldsmith (I know no more than this sorry).

Regards
Jeff Mullier

[...]

Stephen,

Thank you very much for this information.  I knew someone out there would be able to help.  I photographed the boiler and noted that it was clearly not original, having a very 'British' design of smokebox; presumably ex VR, if fitted at Fyansford.  Does the photo of the shovel in its original condition show the rigid the 19ft cross beam, or was this a later modification, possibly when it was converted for use as a crane?  The construction date of 1903 that you quote certainly fits in with the later date of 1902 on the wheels.

My thanks, also, to Jeff Mullier.

Regards,

Richard Horne

From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:51:25 +0000

[...]

Yes, the earliest photo still show the rigid beam, it is certainly an original part of the shovel.

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au

From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:51:25 +0000

[...]

Bill Russell

G'day All,

There were at bleast two steam shovels at Fyansford. One I saw was on caterpillar
tracks. I guess that this is the one I saw last year at Lake Goldsmith.

There was another (out of use when I saw it) stored (abandioned) alsonside the 3'6"
track. I remember that this appeared to be rail mounted.

Regards,
Bill Russell

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:51:25 +0000

[...]

------------------------------------

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA
publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways
and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members
of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors
and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any
LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management" Yahoo!7 Groups
Links

rthorne475

Thank you, Stephen.
Regards, Richard

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au

From: Stephen Percy Larcombe

<splarcombe@hotmail.com>

To: lrrsa@yahoogroups.com.au

From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk

Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:51:25 +0000

[...]

There were two large Crawler mounted shovels at the Fyansford Cement works, Batesford quary.

One is preservered in operating order at Lake Goldsmith, the other one was taken to Sydney, and as far as I know is still dismantled there. The Bucyrus rail mounted shovel has been discussed, and apparently, at some stage they also had a Ruston number 6 rail mounted shovel (but probably with a clamshell attachment). This about a 25 ton working weight machine, and was used to unload coal from the Victorian Railways siding for use as fuel in the cement kilns and for the steam plant.
The Ruston No. 6 is a full slew machine which looks like a smaller version of the large crawler shovel at Lake Goldsmith.

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au

From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:51:25 +0000

[...]

Thanks fpr this additional information.  The 5' 3" gauge steam railway crane No.6  was Ruston & Hornsby 'Ruston Crane Navvy' 951 and had a normal crane jib with a coal grab.  In January 1965 it was dumped on a length of track, together with steam shovel No.3, 'Ruston Crane Navvy' 698, so I was able to photograph the pair.

Regards,

Richard

From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 14:51:25 +0000
[...]

That is interesting you have a record of the No. 6 Grab.

Serial number 951 would probably be about 1925, No. 6 shovel number 818 was October 1923, and numer 1128 was January 1927.

Would you be able to send me a copy or scan of the photo please?

Yours

Stephen

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
From: rthorne475@yahoo.co.uk