Tullah - Update - Topo plan

Bob Thornton

G'day,

I have posted at http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8A86TafzvtrXrKY0-xV4GDSMJNgLU40FYQRcoFxeEqbDrbQE3Ig_GlD37zRy8ki3chRkzTKKxbN4HvCo8VoZcOCj-KaL/Bob%27s%20collection/Roseberry-Farrell-Tullah.pdf an extract of the 1:100 000 topo showing the area of interest.

Interesting plan, a mixture of metric & Imperial. The contour intervals are at 40m and the elevations are in metres. The sheet number is 8014.

cheers,
Bob

Eddie Oliver <eoliver@...>

On 22/01/2011 10:40, Bob Thornton wrote:
G'day,

I have posted at http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8A86TafzvtrXrKY0-xV4GDSMJNgLU40FYQRcoFxeEqbDrbQE3Ig_GlD37zRy8ki3chRkzTKKxbN4HvCo8VoZcOCj-KaL/Bob%27s%20collection/Roseberry-Farrell-Tullah.pdf an extract of the 1:100 000 topo showing the area of interest.

Interesting plan, a mixture of metric& Imperial. The contour intervals are at 40m and the elevations are in metres. The sheet number is 8014.
Thank you. Is that an abandoned railway that starts two squares south of Tullah and wanders six squares southward towards Sterling Saddle?

Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...>

Hi Bob and Eddie,
Thanks for posting the map.
Eddie, we know that for a longtime their was no road connection between Tullah and any other town. I expect that at one time the railroad connected the two sections show on the map.  I also have pictures with many more tracks then the map shows.  The map is good for the topography of the mountain to the East of Tullah.  This is one more item I can use. I can use the contour lines around the mine symbol to help me place the other track around the mine.  With this map I also make a terrain model and get a better idea where the building and track were located. That will be something to work on this weekend.
Can I assume that the grid squares are 1,000 meters?
One of the places I looked for a map was Google maps.  I could find Tullah but I could not enlarge their map big enough to be of any use.
Bill in Texas

From: Bob Thornton <rjt_46@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:40:07 -0000
To: LRRSA LRRSA <LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au>
Subject: [LRRSA] Re: Tullah - Update - Topo plan

G'day,

I have posted at
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8A86TafzvtrXrKY0-xV4GDSMJNgLU40FYQRcoFxeEqbDrbQ
E3Ig_GlD37zRy8ki3chRkzTKKxbN4HvCo8VoZcOCj-KaL/Bob%27s%20collection/Roseberry
-Farrell-Tullah.pdf an extract of the 1:100 000 topo showing the area of
interest.

Interesting plan, a mixture of metric & Imperial. The contour intervals are
at 40m and the elevations are in metres. The sheet number is 8014.

cheers,
Bob

Sam Laybutt

Thanks for posting this Bob. The railways shown around the highway near the Murchison River bridge are quite interesting - what are they? Construction railways?

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
From: rjt_46@yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 08:26:36 +0000

[...]

Terry

I could not get the link to work - any suggestions for a not fully
computer literate senior?

I visited the area last April and rode Wee Georgie Wood - great
experience - how I wish I had rode it when it ran to Farrell Siding!

Stayed at the Tullah Tavern - good accomodation and meal

What an interesting area - both railway wise and scenery

Terry Boardman

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Bob Thornton" <rjt_46@...> wrote:

G'day,

I have posted at
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8A86TafzvtrXrKY0-xV4GDSMJNgLU40FYQRcoFxeEqb\;
DrbQE3Ig_GlD37zRy8ki3chRkzTKKxbN4HvCo8VoZcOCj-KaL/Bob%27s%20collection/R&#92;
oseberry-Farrell-Tullah.pdf an extract of the 1:100 000 topo showing the
area of interest.

Interesting plan, a mixture of metric & Imperial. The contour
intervals are at 40m and the elevations are in metres. The sheet number
is 8014.

cheers,
Bob

Joy

Go to the new files in the LRRSA group, Bob's Collection and download it there.

Joy

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Terry" <terry.boa@...> wrote:

[...]

G'day Sam,

seeing as it also looks to be drawn as abandoned you would need some ancient images to decide that one.

There would have been service tramways for the mining operations to provide prop timbers and firewood, in huge quantities no doubt. The dashed bit at the southern end of the section you mention may be a snigging[?] track or aerial system for timber cutters ? Some early aerial photos may help.

cheers,
Bob

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
From: rjt_46@...
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 08:26:36 +0000
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UEU7TZImrWO_MLQuQEkTwsUc1_jh5f8XTTjR026SfeiM7EjuvWcUMKA3PM6qffgl7PS-AO-zzchLZ7sO7Qh4PDz4xhpB/Bob%27s%20collection/Roseberry-Farrell-Tullah.pdf

Bill

Hi,
I've tried opening the link in both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer and keep getting the messages: document not found.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bill

[...]

Worked for me at 1102 just by clicking on the link in this message using thunderbird email and firefox browser.

From: Bob Thornton <rjt_46@yahoo.com>

To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Bill Daniels <trailerail@...> wrote:

Hi,
I've tried opening the link in both Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer and keep getting the messages: document not found.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Bill

John Dennis <jdennis@...>

The tramway heading south towards Sterling Saddle is given a paragraph in
Rae's book:

"The new tramway [the steel-railed Tullah tram] also gave a means of access
to the new Sterling Valley Tramway which was constructed about 1925. This
wooden tram ran approximately four miles south from its junction with the
Farrell tram within the Tullah township, and served the New Sterling Valley
Mining Company's mine which lay in the Sterling valley directly beneath Mt.
Murchison. The mine did not develop into an economic concern, and closed a
few years after opening."

The map reproduced with the chapter covering the Tullah tram was a 1983
Lands Department map, and the extent of this tram matches that shown in
Bob's map.

John

On 22 January 2011 11:07, Eddie Oliver <eoliver@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

On 22/01/2011 10:40, Bob Thornton wrote:
G'day,

I have posted at
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8A86TafzvtrXrKY0-xV4GDSMJNgLU40FYQRcoFxeEqbDrbQE3Ig_GlD37zRy8ki3chRkzTKKxbN4HvCo8VoZcOCj-KaL/Bob%27s%20collection/Roseberry-Farrell-Tullah.pdfan extract of the 1:100 000 topo showing the area of interest.

Interesting plan, a mixture of metric& Imperial. The contour intervals
are at 40m and the elevations are in metres. The sheet number is 8014.
Thank you. Is that an abandoned railway that starts two squares south of
Tullah and wanders six squares southward towards Sterling Saddle?

Bill

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your effort.

I can't get the link to open, but can easily access it through this groups "Files". ... I enjoy map reading! It's led us to some interesting places.

Regards,
Bill