Tullah

John Browning

Hello Bill

I'm not sure if you've seen these yet, but some really interesting photos to
help you can be found if you go to http://westonlangford.com/search/ and
search for Tullah.

There seem to be some wonderful modelling possibilities shown.

I'm afraid I don't have a track plan but maybe someone else on here may have
or may know where to find one.

John

logo

John Browning

PO Box 99

Annerley 4103

Queensland

Australia

Phone +61 (0)7 3255 9084

Mobile 0407 069 199

bll_hnks

Try sending Weston an email asking if he sketched the track arrangements.
He sketched many Victorian stations and they have been published.

Bill Hanks.

I'm not sure if you've seen these yet, but some really interesting photos to
help you can be found if you go to http://westonlangford.com/search/ and
search for Tullah.

There seem to be some wonderful modelling possibilities shown.

I'm afraid I don't have a track plan but maybe someone else on here may have
or may know where to find one.

John

logo

John Browning

PO Box 99

Annerley 4103

Queensland

Australia

Phone +61 (0)7 3255 9084

Mobile 0407 069 199

Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...>

Hi,
I am Bill a new member.  I live in San Antonio, Texas - USA.
I am looking for information about the Tullah Mining Area in Tasmania.
First, I would like to thank those who replied to my request to Lynn.  I discovered this yahoo group from a CC reference on one of the emails to me.  I found the group, requested membership and was approved. After I was approved I looked over the group site and did a message search for Tullah.  I found three messages.  One message (#818) had a reference to issue #33 of "Light Rails" now available as a PDF file.  I looked up LRRSA and found the issue #33 for sale.  I was /will buy it but I am not sure how to pay the $2.00 or so for the download.  I sent them an email asking for about that.
This brings me to a question.  Does anyone have issue #33 of Light Rail that they could look at and let me know what is in the article.  I am hoping for some type of track plan for the area around the Mine and maybe a few pictures of the Mine Buildings.
It was also suggested I email Weston of "westonlangford.com" and see if he made a track plan when he took the pictures of the Tullah Mine Area  that I found on his web site.  I sent him an email early this afternoon - Texas Time.
Thanks.
Bill in Texas

Try sending Weston an email asking if he sketched the track arrangements.He sketched many Victorian stations and they have been published.  Bill Hanks.  From: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au [mailto:LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au] On Behalf Of John Browning
Sent: Tuesday, 18 January 2011 7:22 AM
To: bfornshell@yahoo.com
Cc: 'A C Lynn Zelmer'; LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Subject: [LRRSA] Tullah    Hello Bill

I'm not sure if you've seen these yet, but some really interesting photos to
help you can be found if you go to http://westonlangford.com/search/ and
search for Tullah.

There seem to be some wonderful modelling possibilities shown.

I'm afraid I don't have a track plan but maybe someone else on here may have
or may know where to find one.

John

logo

John Browning

PO Box 99

Annerley 4103

Queensland

Australia

Phone +61 (0)7 3255 9084

Mobile 0407 069 199

Frank Stamford

Hello Bill,

I have just checked LR33. The only reference to Tullah that is in it is
this news item:

Tullah Tramway (2-ft. gauge)
The Electrolytic Zinc Company has decided that the 0-4-0WT Fowler
locomotive, "Wee Georgie Wood" will be restored and put on display at
Tullah. The engine's working life was ended in 1962 by the completion of
the Murchison Highway, connecting Queenstown and Burnie. For a few more
years it hauled ore trucks half a mile from the Mount Farrell mines to
the flotation plant at Tullah. Since the EZ takeover of the Mount
Farrell Mining Company in 1964 the locomotive has worked only once, to
give joy rides to company officials and their families over the
remaining half mile of track.
Although the EZ Co. has made a firm decision to preserve the locomotive,
the exact method of display has not yet been decided.
(Saturday Evening Mercury, 26th. Sept. 1970)

Unfortunately there are no photographs, track layouts, or other
illustrations.

From: Bill Hanks <BHanks@railsignallingservices.com.au
<mailto:BHanks%40railsignallingservices.com.au>>
To: "LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au>"
<LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au <mailto:LRRSA%40yahoogroups.com.au>>,
"bfornshell@yahoo.com <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com>"
<bfornshell@yahoo.com <mailto:bfornshell%40yahoo.com>>
Cc: "'A C Lynn Zelmer'" <lynn@zelmeroz.com <mailto:lynn%40zelmeroz.com>>
Date: Monday, January 17, 2011, 4:04 PM

[...]

John Dennis <jdennis@...>

Hi Bill,

Issue #33 of LR contains a single paragraph about the Tullah Tramway, an
announcement that they were hoping to restore Wee Georgie Wood. There are a
few other references to the Tullah Tram in Light Railways, most recently in
issue 215 (October 2010) where there is a delightful article. No track plans
though - I don't believe I have ever seen any track plans.

I don't know what you already have about the tramway, but I wrote a small
column in Narrow Gauge Downunder recently, which has been made available
from a tasmanian website:
http://www.westernwilderness.com.au/clients/westcoast/downloads/Farrell%20Tramway%20-%20finalised%20proofs%202.pdf

I think I have some photos in my collection showing the mine area. I will
dig around and see what I can find which might help you.

John

From: Bill Hanks <BHanks@railsignallingservices.com.au>
To: "LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au" <LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au>, "
bfornshell@yahoo.com" <bfornshell@yahoo.com>
Cc: "'A C Lynn Zelmer'" <lynn@zelmeroz.com>
Date: Monday, January 17, 2011, 4:04 PM

Try sending Weston an email asking if he sketched the track arrangements.He
sketched many Victorian stations and they have been published. Bill Hanks.
I'm not sure if you've seen these yet, but some really interesting photos
help you can be found if you go to http://westonlangford.com/search/ and
search for Tullah.

There seem to be some wonderful modelling possibilities shown.

I'm afraid I don't have a track plan but maybe someone else on here may
have
or may know where to find one.

John

logo

John Browning

PO Box 99

Annerley 4103

Queensland

Australia

Phone +61 (0)7 3255 9084

Mobile 0407 069 199

------------------------------------

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA
publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the
LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of
the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and
opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member
nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"
Yahoo!7 Groups Links

From: Bill Hanks <BHanks@railsignallingservices.com.au>
To: "LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au" <LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au>, "
bfornshell@yahoo.com" <bfornshell@yahoo.com>
Cc: "'A C Lynn Zelmer'" <lynn@zelmeroz.com>
Date: Monday, January 17, 2011, 4:04 PM

[...]

Hi Frank,
Thank you for looking and letting me know. I do appreciate that.
I will wait a bit and see if Weston Langford has anything in the way of a track plan.  If that doesn't work out I will take the pictures I have and come up with something.
Thanks.
Bill in Texas

From: John Dennis <jdennis@optusnet.com.au>
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Date: Monday, January 17, 2011, 8:35 PM

[...]

Roderick Smith

There is a photo in one of the earliest Richardson booklets (Australian Railways Today?) which shows just a stub-end track adjacent to EBR. There could well have been a loop and proper station down the slope, away from the interchange.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

John Dennis <jdennis@...>

I think that there are probably sufficient photos taken at Farrell Siding,
plus written descriptions, to come up with a pretty reasonable idea of the
track plan there. I was under the impression that Bill wanted plans of the
mine area, which was much less visited, being beyond the "station" in the
township of Tullah.

John

On 18 January 2011 18:51, rnveditor <rodsmith@werple.net.au> wrote:

[...]

Ron Martin <ronhil@...>

Yes, I've not entered this discussion, because, apart from the written
detail given in Lou Rae's books, all of my material is either of locomotives
or rolling stock, various lineside views and some pictures of the exchange
arrangements with the EBR. I have never seen actual track diagrams of any
part of the line.

Ron

[...]

A quick look at what's available via Picture Australia (Search on Tullah), doesn't reveal much. There is a general view of the mine, but no railway lines can be seen. One other photo is of a train on a truss bridge.

Bill Hanks

On 18 January 2011 18:51, rnveditor <rodsmith@werple.net.au<mailto:rodsmith%40werple.net.au>> wrote:

[...]

frank_strik

Bill,
If memory serves, there is more detail of the "main line" end of the Tullah tramway in some older ARHS bulletins - I don't have copies handy but others here might be able to delve into their archives...

If you want the current 'heritage' arrangements, the Quail Tasmanian rail atlas should have the entire layout.

Cheers,
Frank Strik

Bob Thornton

G'day Bill,

don't think it's been mentioned yet, there are around 1000 articles on the NLA newspaper site....

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=tullah+tram&exactPhrase=&anyWords=¬Words=&l-textSearchScope=*ignore*|*ignore*&fromdd=&frommm=&fromyyyy=&todd=&tomm=&toyyyy=&l-word=*ignore*|*ignore*&sortby=

probably not much in the way of images, but plenty of words.

Fantastic resource, along with the NAA - http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx plenty of Tassie rail material, including bags of drawings.

cheers,
Bob

John Dennis <jdennis@...>

The April 1960 Bulletin has an 8 page article, but there's no photo of the
mine area, and no description of the line beyond the township of Tullah. I
assumed that when Bill mentioned "Tullah Mine Area" and Weston Langford's
photos (almost all of which are between the town and the mine, as the line
to Farrell Siding was closed by the time of visit) that he is looking for
details of the Mine, not the "main line" end.

John

On 19 January 2011 19:32, frank_strik <fstrik@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

Bill,
If memory serves, there is more detail of the "main line" end of the Tullah
tramway in some older ARHS bulletins - I don't have copies handy but others
here might be able to delve into their archives...

If you want the current 'heritage' arrangements, the Quail Tasmanian rail
atlas should have the entire layout.

Cheers,
Frank Strik

Hunslet

From MagIndex:

Article Name: The Tullah Tramway
ARH / Bulletin Vol 11, No 270, Apr 1960, pp49-56
Author/Contributor Name: Manny, LB
Comment: The Tullah Tramway connected the isolated mining town of Tullah with the Emu Bay Railway. This article gives an account of a journey over the line and describes the line, rolling stock, and operational problems. 3 photos, 2 maps.
Contributions from JLN Southern, R Tonkies and JW Knowles appear in Bn274 Aug 1960 , pp128 -31 . An earlier brief article on this line appears in Bn104 Jun 1946 , p83 . IDENTIFIERS: Non-Government Railways Tas / Mineral Railways
Tas / Tullah Tas / Southern, JLN / Tonkies, R / Knowles, JW

As has been said elsewhere, no track diagrams!

Hunslet

Bruce Wood

I find the Tullah tramway to be the most fascinating and inspirational setting. There doesn’t appear to have been much information recorded on the evolving history of the railway? I don’t know the likelihood of being able to get a copy of the of the 1960 ARHS Bulletin?

A train “picture book” released in 2008 – Trains and Railways of Australia by the late Jim Powe, has a 11 picture coverage on the line. These are mainly black and white pictures, and generally covers the supply train with open wagons and covered van, between Tullah and Farrell Junction (interchange with Emu Bay Railway). Only one photo has a date, which is 1954. There are no pictures of the ore train or the mine.

Regards

Bruce

ARH / Bulletin Vol 11, No 270, Apr 1960, pp49-56
Author/Contributor Name: Manny, LB
Comment: The Tullah Tramway connected the isolated mining town
of Tullah with the Emu Bay Railway. This article gives an account
of a journey over the line and describes the line, rolling stock,
and operational problems. 3 photos, 2 maps.
Contributions from JLN Southern, R Tonkies and JW Knowles appear
in Bn274 Aug 1960 , pp128 -31 . An earlier brief article on this
line appears in Bn104 Jun 1946 , p83 . IDENTIFIERS: Non-Government
Railways Tas / Mineral Railways
Tas / Tullah Tas / Southern, JLN / Tonkies, R / Knowles, JW

As has been said elsewhere, no track diagrams!

Hunslet

John Dennis <jdennis@...>

Lou Rae's "History of Railways and Tramways on Tasmania's West Coast" has 8
or 9 pages covering the Tullah Tram, and does cover the history of the line,
but again tends to focussed very much on the line between Farrell Siding and
Tullah.

I have seen a number of photos of the workings around the mine, but I
suspect these were all taken, like Weston's, after the road went through and
the "main line" was closed, leaving just the short trip between mine and the
flotation plant, a distance of about half a mile.

The mine is an area which was obviously not explored by those who travelled
in and out on the train, more's the pity...

John

On 21 January 2011 11:39, Bruce Wood <bruce.wood@bigpond.com> wrote:

I find the Tullah tramway to be the most fascinating and inspirational
setting. There doesnt appear to have been much information recorded on the
evolving history of the railway? I dont know the likelihood of being able
to get a copy of the of the 1960 ARHS Bulletin?

A train picture book released in 2008 Trains and Railways of Australia
by the late Jim Powe, has a 11 picture coverage on the line. These are
mainly black and white pictures, and generally covers the supply train with
open wagons and covered van, between Tullah and Farrell Junction
(interchange with Emu Bay Railway). Only one photo has a date, which is
1954. There are no pictures of the ore train or the mine.

Regards

Bruce

Bill Bolton

In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:

I am looking for information about the Tullah Mining Area in Tasmania.
There's also this, from the National Library of Australia catalogue.....

Celebrating the centenary of the North Mount Farrell tramway : 1902-2002
Book Bib ID 2388447
Format Book, Online - Google Books
Description Rosebery, Tas. : Wee Georgie Wood Steam Railway Inc., c2002.
32 p. : ill., ports. ; 15 x 21 cm.

ISBN 0975001302

Notes "November 2002".

Subjects North Mount Farrell Tramway. | Street-railroads - Tasmania - Tallah.

Other authors/contributors Wee Georgie Wood Steam Railway Inc

Also Titled 1902-2002 : celebrating the centenary of the North Mount Farrell Tramway

Available From 11 Bluff Street, TULLAH, TAS, 7321

****

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton

In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Bill Fornshell <bfornshell@...> wrote:

I have to email them and have them send me a copy of issue 39.
The NGDU article is available on-line here.....