Underground Railroad: 1942

Bill Bolton

This is from the US, but its such a fabulous mine railway photo that
its well worth a look.

<http://www.shorpy.com/node/6266?size=_original>

Cheers,

Bill

Tom D

What a fascinating site. Here is another interesting photo.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7786?size=_original

- Tom.

Bob Mcleod

Hell, that live overhead looks awful close to the drivers neck??
   Fine bit of photography!
               Bob

halfpilotstaff

A "coffee pot" Shay?!?!

Who'd a-thunkit....

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Tom D <jtd245@...> wrote:

What a fascinating site. Here is another interesting photo.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7786?size=_original

- Tom.

David Halfpenny

From: halfpilotstaff <ta1712@internode.on.net>
To: LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au
Date: Thursday, 13 January, 2011, 12:06

A "coffee pot" Shay?!?!

Who'd a-thunkit....

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Tom D <jtd245@...> wrote:

What a fascinating site. Here is another interesting photo.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/7786?size=_original
- Tom.

B.Rumary

Tom D wrote:

What a fascinating site. Here is another interesting photo.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7786?size=_original
This is one of the locos that Ephraim Shay built himself, rather than
those built by Lima to Shay's patent.

Brian Rumary, England

www.rumary.co.uk

bll_hnks

A friend in the USA tells me that this was Ephraim Shay's second locomotive.

Bill Hanks

What a fascinating site. Here is another interesting photo.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7786?size=_original
This is one of the locos that Ephraim Shay built himself, rather than
those built by Lima to Shay's patent.

Brian Rumary, England

www.rumary.co.uk

rthorne475

Bill,

Ephraim Shay's three locos on the Hemlock Central RR were all different and dstinctively so...and this one is definitely No.1.

Cheers,

Richard

A friend in the USA tells me that this was Ephraim Shay's second locomotive.

Bill Hanks

What a fascinating site. Here is another interesting photo.
http://www.shorpy.com/node/7786?size=_original

This is one of the locos that Ephraim Shay built himself, rather than

those built by Lima to Shay's patent.

Brian Rumary, England

www.rumary.co.uk

bll_hnks

G’day Richard,

Thanks for that clarification. It looks a bit different to the actual patent which I think only had two cylinders. I note that the particular locomotive in the photo does not have full length frames as the front bogie is hung off the smokebox, which would have placed the pulling forces on the boiler itself.

Regards,