Topics

Light railways in Port Macquarie area

Chris Stratton

I'll be staying in Port Macquarie with the family next month and was
wondering if there are any light railway remains in the area worth looking
at. They would need to be easy to get to and not too far away. Bulahdelah
and Mayers Point would be too far away, but the Kendall area would be OK.

Regards,

Chris

BM

Chris Stratton wote on 19 December:
I'll be staying in Port Macquarie with the family next month and was
wondering if there are any light railway remains in the area worth looking
at. They would need to be easy to get to and not too far away. Bulahdelah
and Mayers Point would be too far away, but the Kendall area would be OK.

It would seem that there are some relics in the Kendall area - see LR 131 pp 11-20; LR 133 pp 21-23; LR 145, p 28; LR 150 p 36; and LR 159 p 28. You will also have the opportunity to ride on the recently re-opened Timbertown Heritage Railway at Wauchope (re-launched on 15 December).
Bob McKillop
Heritage & Research editor, Light Railways

Chris Stratton

Thanks Bob, I'll look up those articles.

Regards,
Chris

I'll be staying in Port Macquarie with the family next month and was
wondering if there are any light railway remains in the area worth looking
at.
They would need to be easy to get to and not too far away. Bulahdelah and
Mayers Point would be too far away, but the Kendall area would be OK.

It would seem that there are some relics in the Kendall area - see LR 131
pp
11-20; LR 133 pp 21-23; LR 145, p 28; LR 150 p 36; and LR 159 p 28. You
will also
have the opportunity to ride on the recently re-opened Timbertown
Heritage Railway at Wauchope (re-launched on 15 December).
Bob McKillop
Heritage & Research editor, Light Railways

bll_hnks

Chris,
At Harrington there is the harbour break-wall which utilized a tramway to bring down stone quarried at Crowdy Head. From memory the tramway formation is now a walking track. At the northern end where the stone was quarried you used to be able see remnants of the tramway and the quarrying. I haven't been there for many years. I didn't get to have a close look at the break-wall end.
The beach at Crowdy Head is delightful and you can walk on the headland itself.
Regards,
Bill Hanks