Topics

Fifty years of LRRSA - events and activities - Revision 2

Roderick Smith

I have added two more of the 'Bump in a bus' day, which was Sat.2.12.67 (removing another uncertainty from the master list). They are in my Roderick Smith album in the group's photos section.

Photo 02 shows the bus: driver, John Withers, Graham Harding and Frank Stamford.
Photo 03 shows the group hiking on what could be part of the Powelltown tram formation.
Rear right could be Lindsay Rickard, ahead could be John Gardner, ahead could be Frank Stamford. Rear left and way ahead I can't guess.

The location is before Powelltown, but after a place where we inspected a yard with logs. That location could have been Yarra Junction.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick Smith

I have added three more from the 'Bump in a bus' day, Sat.2.12.67 .

05: I am not sure what the structure is. Before I scanned, I thought that the man was John Buckland, but I never did meet John until the Lal Lal ironworks tour. I suspect that this photo shows a second Lionel (not Lionel Rickard).

08a, 12 people: ?, ?, Phil Rickard, Graham or Trevor Bentley?, possibly Peter Fraser (but I didn't think that he came on VLRRS tours), Lionel Rickard, Richard Dempster, Trevor Penn, David Hennell?, John Prideaux, Frank Stamford, Jeff Gardner?.

09 at Powelltown, eight people, none identifiable.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Frank Stamford

Hello Rod and others,

Very interesting pictures.

Sa_03, the one showing the people walking along the tramway formation
is, I think, at Black Sands, but I am not sure if it is on the west side
of Black Sands Road with the people walking towards the station site, or
on the east side with the people walking in the Powelltown direction.

Sa_05 is definitely at Black Sands, east of Black Sands Road, it shows
the remains of a gravel screening plant which was near the tramway.

Sa_08a with the bus on the far left and the group of people examining
the sacred site is at Three Bridges, looking towards Yarra Junction. The
formation of the tramway (ie the sacred site) is on the right.

On 18/12/2010 6:56 AM, rnveditor wrote:

I have added three more from the 'Bump in a bus' day, Sat.2.12.67 .

05: I am not sure what the structure is. Before I scanned, I thought
that the man was John Buckland, but I never did meet John until the
Lal Lal ironworks tour. I suspect that this photo shows a second
Lionel (not Lionel Rickard).

08a, 12 people: ?, ?, Phil Rickard, Graham or Trevor Bentley?,
possibly Peter Fraser (but I didn't think that he came on VLRRS
tours), Lionel Rickard, Richard Dempster, Trevor Penn, David Hennell?,
John Prideaux, Frank Stamford, Jeff Gardner?.

09 at Powelltown, eight people, none identifiable.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick Smith

I am having an after-lunch coffee, so I have uploaded the next few while I am sipping.

I scanned one more of Rubicon, but have cropped rather than shrunk, in a vain effort to identify the participants. The front left could be Ian Stanley.

13 at Powelltown; I can't guess the photographer in view.
14 at Powelltown; I can't guess the foreground member; but John Withers's moustache is distinctive in the medium distance.
15a at Powellton, looking for recently-tipped bogies and other items which had been intact only a few months earlier when Frank had visited.
Eight participants: John Prideaux, Trevor Penn?, ?, John Withers, ?, ?, ? (obscured at rear), ?

The changeover from electric to diesel was to be 30.6.93 last to 1.7.94 first, but electric operation lingered through July and into August.
Electric still in use as at 19.8.
Diesel in use by Sun.5.9.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick Smith

I have now scanned the last three people photos from the 'Bump in a bus' day, and placed them in my Roderick Smith album in the group's photos section. I can't identify the people. Clothing can be a clue, but the tones and similar nature of clothing being worn are not helping.
I am not going back to the Rubicon day to scan any more, as I didn't take many, and they are not people photos. As at midyear, I had only one camera, and it had expensive colour slides in it. By the end of the year, I had bought a second camera, and usually ran one with colour, and one with b&w.

I may have some of the 3.3.68 Ballarat tour. That was a Vintage Train to Ballarat, and there were LRRSA and ARE charters, and probably ones by VT itself to take passengers to the gardens. For the first time, fire-danger bans resulted in the train being diesel hauled instead of steam hauled. I was there on my motorcycle, and was continuing further west.

I missed the hike (Easter?), and I believe that I missed the Whistlestop inspection: I went privately, on a different occasion.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick Smith

I have made a start with the Sun.3.3.68 Ballarat tram tour.
This was described in Autumn 68 LR 23.
The first stage used four-wheel tram 21; the second stage used bogie tram 37.

From my tour file:
* Sun.3.3.68: VT. B85-ABU43-BL13(Pioneer)-BL12(Enterprise)-BV8-BV7-BV6-BV19-AV32-BV3-BV18-BV1-BC15 Melbourne - North Geelong - Ballarat - Melbourne. This was the first use of BL12 in VT since restoration. An R was planned; the B was used because of fire danger. There was a tram convoy for all passengers from the station to the gardens & return. (Apr.68 DD p32 item).
* Sun.3.3.68: ARE (58) Ballarat tram tour of the complete system. 37 & 21. There were 34 passengers; travel to and from Ballarat was on VT.
A forward run via North Geelong hints at about an 11.30 arrival in Ballarat.
I didn't mention the LRRSA tour. Clearly, VLRRS and ARE exchanged trams mid afternoon. What isn't clear: did the two travel in convoy all day, or did they go different ways, and met at a rendezvous later?

The first two photos don't contain many recognisable people, but possibly Ian Stanley is included. The third shows John Prideaux on the footpath. I suspect that it is in the second half, and VLRRS 37 is blocked from view by ARE's 21, being crossed.

I continued west on my motorcycle to photograph the declining days of steam in the Nhill area. I still had a week left before university resumed.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick Smith

Today's episode: three photos aboard Ballarat 37.
Given the sequencing, they must have been of the VLRRS portion, but the only VLRRS passenger whom I can recogise is John Prideaux (photo 35, standing, with tie). IIRC, John was treasurer at the time. I wasn't treasurer until later.
The quartet seated in the centre saloon were ARE types: Wayne Mills, Greg Dixon and Chris Dack; the obscured one just has to be Peter Clayton.
Perhaps the cooperation extended not only to sharing trams, but sharing passengers because ARE had too many bookings?

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick Smith

I have added the last four of the Ballarat tram tour.
photo 37 shows two of the ARE quartet.
photos 38, 39 & 40 included John Withers (rear view at the cab; two views leaning out of the door).
He not only attended VLRRS/LRRSA tours, he used his Landrover in the early days of Ballarat Tramway Preservation Society (now Ballarat Tramway Museum) to retrieve components, including dragging rails.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick Smith

At Easter 1968 I was in the bush with a different group, and missed the Powelltown exploration hike.
The Whistlestop day was Sat.25.5.68; I was in NSW and missed it.

That now jumps to Sat.1.3.69.
My photos show this as four visits in one day:
Bus to Geelong, and start with Cheetham (included a ride)
Belmont Common: possibly for lunch
Back to Laverton for Cheetham
Finish the day at Altona explosives sidings

There will be a lot of photographs to scan, and I have jumped to one out of sequence to get started, and kept it at full size.

Far left: Keith Kings, ?, ? (possibly our host), Les Poole
Front of trolley: David Hennel, Andrew Hennell, John Withers
Rear of trolley: Possibly Barry Stewart bending over, but I can't recall him being a VLLRS person, usually ARE.
Behind the trolley: Steve Martin beside Frank Stamford
Far right: Ralph Cleary with a camera

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Frank Stamford

Hello Rod,

You are coming up with some very interesting pictures.

The one showing Les Poole at Cheetham saltworks, Geelong, is
significant, as this was to be Les's last rail enthusiast trip before he
died on 21 March. From the time he became aware of the VLRRS's existence
he was a great supporter of what it was attempting to do, and had
membership number 10.

Barry Stewart was a member, he had membership number 50.

We were living in interesting times in the VLRRS at the time that trip
was run...