Topics

Fifty years of LRRSA - events and activities - Revision 1

Frank Stamford

Following Rod's message I have looked at the list of tours in "Five to 500" and found a lot that were not included in the Fifty Year document I prepared.

I have therefore produced the First revision of the list, which can be found in "Frank's folder" in the Files section of this Yahoo Group.

I have also deleted the first version of the document.

I still believe there are many LRRSA trips missing from the second 25 years.

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Frank Stamford <frank.stamford@...> wrote:

Hello Rod,

Thanks for that.

I cannot help with the GGGs, hopefully others can.

Thanks for the information on the June 1975 Tasmanian trip, that was
a significant omission.

At 07:03 AM 15/12/2010, you wrote:

I am trying to unscramble the Grand Gippsland Gallivants.

One of them took in Port Welshpool, Port Albert?
One of them took in Wonthaggi & Kilcunda (or was that the return
from Port Albert?)

One of them was based at Lakes Entrance, with charter ferry up North
Arm to Mississippi Creek, and to an island; then we walked the
tramway next day.

On trip missing: Queens Birthday 1975.
Friday night: fly into Devonport, overnight in Formby Hotel.
Saturday: Two? hired cars to Hobart & Ida Bay, including a ride.
Overnight in a Hobart hotel.
Sunday: to Zeehan, and inspect remains, also Williamsford.
Monday: to Devonport and home.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick Smith

I can find only one Bogong tour listed: my memory is that there were at least three. Aha: that is Wombat Woodline & Water Race.
Wombat being the railway at Leneva, not Wombat State Forest.

The Lysterfield morning is missing.

The Cheetham day also took in Belmont Common Railway.

I should be able to find the Yallourn cessation date, but not in a few minutes.

There are references to the Ada Valley reports, but not to the tour in mostly 4wd vehicles, including Alan's Unimog. I was in the only 2wd (a Mini Moke, driven by Arthur). We got through nearly the whole course, then wallowed into the mud in one dip. It took two Landrovers coupled to drag us out. IIRC one of them belonged to John Withers.

I will workshop a few photos through the photos section, as time permits.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Roderick Smith

I have put up all six photos which are on the hard drive already. They are in a new Roderick Smith album. My existing photos are in thematic albums: Port Melbourne (not an LRRSA tour), and Lakes Entrance (one was taken during a tour, but isn't of sufficient significance to be considered for the book).
I don't know why I scanned them, as they weren't placed with LRRSA at the time.

I have lots more prints available, but not yet scanned. Slides will be slower.

Two more missed trips?
A West Warburton, including hiking up a zig zag.
A weekend based on Mansfield: Samaria plateau, and a tram off Howqua River.

In the rubicon 'tram' photo: AFAIK the face rhs is Murray (Felstead?). The eyes and nose lhs must be Andrew Hennell, so one of the pairs of glasses must be David Hennell.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Frank Stamford

Hello all,

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "rnveditor" <rodsmith@...> wrote:

I can find only one Bogong tour listed: my memory is that there were at least three. Aha: that is Wombat Woodline & Water Race.
Wombat being the railway at Leneva, not Wombat State Forest.

The Lysterfield morning is missing.
OK, I have uploaded a Revision 1a, and included Lysterfield and the other trips you mentioned in your later email under "Unknown significant dates" at the end of the document. Hopefully we will be able to find dates for them.

The Cheetham day also took in Belmont Common Railway.
Noted, I have amended this in Revision 1a.

There are references to the Ada Valley reports, but not to the tour in mostly 4wd vehicles, including Alan's Unimog. I was in the only 2wd (a Mini Moke, driven by Arthur). We got through nearly the whole course, then wallowed into the mud in one dip. It took two Landrovers coupled to drag us out. IIRC one of them belonged to John Withers.
Yes that trip - which was unique in many ways - is listed, under "Upper Yarra Spectacular" 12 Apr 1970. There were three Land Rovers, Alan's Haflinger (not Unimog), and a Mini Moke.

Roderick Smith

I have made a start on scanning a selection of photos taken during LRRSA activities.

Today's isn't LRRSA, but has strong links.
They cover part of the ceremony of PBR's reopening day from Menzies Creek to Emerald.
The two groups have always had close links; many members are dual; many things dear to our hearts are preserved and operated there; it was/is the base for LRRSA's TACL-restoration project.
Through the 1960s, PBR nurtured railway enthusiasm in a wave of baby-boomer teenagers: they went on to be active in that venture, and many others.
On this occasion, I was in year 11 and headed off for the day independently. I made many new friends, and met Frank for the first time. We had a mutual friend, Jeff Gardner (in my scout troup, and contemporary with Frank at Camberwell High, and hence part of the founding movement of VLRRS). I guess that Frank must have been first-year university at the time. We chatted on many topics of interest, and I must have joined soon after, and picked up what available back issues existed. I was particularly interested in the Port Melbourne gasworks tramway, as I had seen its tracks frequently when growing up in South Melbourne.

Undoubtedly many other future members were present on that day, and some may even be in the background in my two posted photos.

I intend to concentrate on photos which show members in action: a tree beside a crumbling formation looks much the same whenever it is photographed: put in a few members with camers, tape measures and clipboards (or gps units and laptops), and we link the location to the progress of 50 years of VLRRS/LRRSA activity.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Frank Stamford

Hello all,

I have just uploaded Revision 2 of the LRRSA Fifty Years of Activities list. It can be found in the Files section in "Frank's folder".

It now has details of a lot more LRRSA Tours, and I must thank Peter Evans for the details of these. His filing system is obviously much better organised than mine. This has answered all the outstanding queries on when particular trips were run, although the exact dates of some are not known. However it would seem likely there are still some missing - for instance, there are none listed for 1996, and none listed for Victoria in 1997. And I still think there are some missing for NSW, Qld and SA.

Also added are all the books published by the LRRSA (excluding special issues of "Light Railways").

What is missing are details of some of the book launches. If anyone can help with that information it would be appreciated.

Incidentally, the names of some of the tours are intriguing!