From: "Henrik" <hdhj5862@yahoo.com.au>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2010 1:57 AM
To: <LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au>
Subject: [LRRSA] Baugley Drewery Loco.

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some drawings for the above mentioned loco for a project. Does anyone know where I can source a set? I have the Accucraft model and seen one in the flesh at Woodford on a visit and now have the taste. I think it would make an awesome 7 1/4" model!! :-)
Henrik

I've got a book about Baguley-Drewry.

They built large numbers of very varied locomotives.

Could you narrow down the search to a specific type please?
Pictures?

David 1/2d

John Browning

The Baguley loco at Woodford is ex Mulgrave Mill 1, Baguley 3377 of
1953,Type BG6.

Drewry Car Company Ltd (who were an agency) had nothing to do with this
locomotive, which was supplied to the order of another agency, RMP (Railway
Mine & Plantation Equipment Company Ltd).

John

logo

John Browning

PO Box 99

Annerley 4103

Queensland

Australia

Phone +61 (0)7 3255 9084

Mobile 0407 069 199

Henrik Dorbeck

David,

Thanks for your reply. The closest I can find is the Woodford Baugley. I was
there in March and quite impressed with it. So much so that I managed to find an
Accucraft model going spare. I had thought of looking at it in 7 1/4" gauge as a
model. Details I have found are as follows;
Wheel Arrangement: 0-6-0DM
• Built by EE Baguley Ltd, Burton-on-Trent, UK, for Railway,
Mine and Plantation Equipment Ltd, UK
• Weight:
• Build #: 3377 of 1953
• Horse Power: fitted with a 6LW Gardner Diesel Motor
Would love any additional details like a line drawing for a starter.

Thanks again

Henrik

________________________________
I am looking for some drawings for the above mentioned loco for a
project. Does anyone know where I can source a set? I have the Accucraft
model and seen one in the flesh at Woodford on a visit and now have the
taste. I think it would make an awesome 7 1/4" model!! :-)
Henrik

I've got a book about Baguley-Drewry.

They built large numbers of very varied locomotives.

Could you narrow down the search to a specific type please?
Pictures?

David 1/2d

Scott Jesser <scottjesser@...>

Henrik,

I understand the Accucraft model closely resembles Baguley-Drewry 0-6-0 DH 3662, built in 1970 for CSR’s Lautoka Mill in Fiji and fitted with a 280hp GM 8V-71 engine. It was sent from Lautoka to Labasa Mill on Vanua Levu but suffered from broken axles and was withdrawn. I saw in it 2008, dumped in Labasa yard without an engine.

Scott Jesser

Thanks for your reply. The closest I can find is the Woodford Baugley. I was
there in March and quite impressed with it. So much so that I managed to find an
Accucraft model going spare. I had thought of looking at it in 7 1/4" gauge as a
model. Details I have found are as follows;
Wheel Arrangement: 0-6-0DM
• Built by EE Baguley Ltd, Burton-on-Trent, UK, for Railway,
Mine and Plantation Equipment Ltd, UK
• Weight:
• Build #: 3377 of 1953
• Horse Power: fitted with a 6LW Gardner Diesel Motor
Would love any additional details like a line drawing for a starter.

Thanks again

Henrik

John Garaty

Hi Henrik,
There was a line drawing General Arrangement in "Cane Trains" about the sugar Industry in Fiji. This book also had line drawings of a lot of the other equipment that operated in Fiji. There may be line drawings or photos of similar units in LR66 (australina Sugar) and LR77 (Fiji Sugar).

The ILRMS has a similar unit "Seymour".

http://www.ilrms.com.au/seymour.htm

and in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT6-2EZaqBo

I have taken a lot of detail photos of "Seymour" for a planned 7mm scale model. I would be happy to put these up in an album for you if you wish.
Regards
John Garaty
Unanderra

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, "Henrik" <hdhj5862@...> wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some drawings for the above mentioned loco for a project. Does anyone know where I can source a set? I have the Accucraft model and seen one in the flesh at Woodford on a visit and now have the taste. I think it would make an awesome 7 1/4" model!! :-)

Thanks

Henrik

Henrik Dorbeck

John and Scott,

Thanks for your replies. What a fool I was- never even thought of the Cane
Trains book (of which I have a copy). I have now located it and found the
relavent drawings. Thank you everyone who has led me along the path to my
destination. John I would be interested in the photos to peruse as further
details for the loco. In the book there are actually two Baugley's both slightly
different.

Thanks again

Regards

Henrik

________________________________
[...]

To clarify about the history of this type of locomotive:

EE Baguley Ltd developed a range of larger narrow gauge diesels from 1946, an 0-4-0DM with Gardner 4LW engine of around 55hp (two went to Fiji), 0-4-0DM and 0-6-0DM types with the Gardner 6LW of around 110hp (three 0-6-0s came to Australia and one went to Fiji) and the 0-6-0DM type with the Gardner 8LW of around 150hp, of which 11 came to Australia.

Drewry Car Co Ltd (DC) were agents who had a special relationship with Baguley. Locomotives supplied by Baguley under the Drewry name carried Drewry plates and were numbered in a separate Drewry series of builder's numbers (in the 2xxx) series. The locomotives not supplied through Drewry were numbered in Baguley's own series, by this time 3xxx.

The Australian locomotives with the 8LW engine were supplied both via Drewry and RMP (Railway Mine & Plantation Equipment). The Drewry versions were designed with different bodywork although mechanically they were very similar.

In 1967, EE Baguley and Drewry Car Co merged to become Baguley-Drewry Ltd. Following this, one 0-6-0DH was supplied to Fiji with a 280hp GM V8 engine, based on the Clyde Model HG-3R. Finally, three 140hp 0-6-0DH with a Caterpillar 3304 engine went to Fiji in 1987. These had been built for Mozambique but had never been delivered there.

I have placed a list of these locomotives n the `files' section of the site.

John

John Garaty

Hi Henrik,
All photos are now up. I have tried to set the album up as if you were doing a walk-around.

known visible ILRMS mods,
all grilles on the sides of the engine bay and in front of the radiator were built by ILRMS (both locos arrived with none of the original louvred panels), lights, the steel external roof over the cab has been removed (too badly rusted too be saved). Externally the rest of the loco is visually pretty much we got it from CSR.

I hope that this helps,
Regards, John Garaty
Unanderra in oz

--- In LRRSA@yahoogroups.com.au, Henrik Dorbeck <hdhj5862@...> wrote:

John and Scott,

Thanks for your replies. What a fool I was- never even thought of the Cane
Trains book (of which I have a copy). I have now located it and found the
relavent drawings. Thank you everyone who has led me along the path to my
destination. John I would be interested in the photos to peruse as further
details for the loco. In the book there are actually two Baugley's both slightly
different.

Thanks again

Regards

Henrik

Henrik Dorbeck

John,

Thanks heaps for that. Will get into it and have a good look.

Regards

Henrik
Auckland, NZ

________________________________
[...]

A C Lynn Zelmer

Henrik

Try
http://www.zelmeroz.com/albumquery/_search.php
with Seymour and Baguley as search terms (individual searches, not both in the same search).

Best wishes,
Lynn

[...]

Material posted on this group may be adapted by the editors of LRRSA publications for use in those publications, including Light Railways and the LRRSA web-site www.lrrsa.org.au

This group is for members who share common interests with the members of the LRRSA, but the contents of postings are those of their authors and opinions expressed do not necessarily conform with those of any LRRSA member nor of the LRRSA Council of Management"
Yahoo!7 Groups Links

--
Lynn Zelmer
Box 1414, Rockhampton QLD 4700 Australia